remington 1100 lt20

Katies Dad

remington 1100 lt20

Post by Katies Dad » Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:36 pm

Hey all I have a question I am pretty sure the firing pin on my lt 20 is broken. the gun is about 10 years old. I would like to get it back in working condition. anybody know a gun smith in the kansas wichita area? I could probably do it myself but I lost the parts manual. Thanks for any help!

pear

Post by pear » Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:44 pm

Kates Dad , What are the symptoms, that make you so usre you have a broken firing pin? Without knowing anything but what you have said so far, I'm voting for a different problem........Dried grease, dirt, and powder residue, built up around the pin.......Fix is simple if that is what it is. Take the bolt out, and clean with a solvent such as Gun Scrubber, or just a good flush internally with WD40 will work............Try that first and let us know. "pear"
"When I was a kid, I used to pray every night for a new "puppy". Then I realized that the Lord, in his wisdom, didn't work that way. So I just stole one and asked him to forgive me".

Arti
Nikki
Diamond
Bailey

portsider44

Post by portsider44 » Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:56 pm

[url] http://www.remington.com/pdfs/om/om_11001187.pdf [url]

Here's link to the owners manual for the 1100 & might help.

Did the gun stop working in the field or was working fine & then stored for a while & now doesn't work?

There finally got the link to work & it only took 4 edits :lol:
Last edited by portsider44 on Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:02 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:57 pm

I've never heard of an 1100 firing pin breaking.

If you field strip the gun, which takes less than a minute, you can easily inspect the bolt and determine of the firing pin is broken or intact.

If it *is* the firing pin, it might be cheaper, less hassle to find another 1100 built on the LT20 frame and scavange the bolt from it.

If you need help field stripping it, drop me a PM and I'll give you my phone number and we'll get on the horn and walk through it.

Best regards,

Katies Dad

Post by Katies Dad » Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:28 pm

hey guys thanks for the replies! The gun was working when i stored it for about 4yrs but I have taken it out and cleaned it very well! I think the firing pin might not be broken now after reading what you all have said it might just be gunked up. how do I get the bolt out i have the trigger assy out I will look into it more thanks greg jennings but I will try to find something on breaking it down more so I wont have to bother you!

Gregory

Post by Gregory » Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:25 pm

You have'nt said what the gun is doing, or better yet what tests have you done to make you think the firing pin is broken. Have you manually cocked the gun , took it off sfety them pulled the trigger. Did it make any sounds like a CLICK. Have you tried firing the gun and did not go off. Did you eject the shell from the guns chamber and checked the primer to see if it was dented or not after4 you attempted to fire the shell...

G

Katies Dad

Post by Katies Dad » Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:49 am

the gun does click when the trigger is pulled. I took it apart and the firing pin doesnt come all the way out when you hit the thing (excuse my stupidity) on the back of the bolt. you know the thing the hammer hits that actuates the firing pin. I have not manually cocked the gun and the shell didnt have any indication that the pin touched it.

Gregory

Post by Gregory » Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:12 am

Let's not call it stupidity:>) inexperienced, yes...:>)

I think you will have your answer as was suggested above, when you take the bolt that houses the springs and the firing pin apart..

You may get lucky .If not, parts for the 1100 should be readily available.

Best, G..