Benelli SBE cycling problem

CZShooter

Benelli SBE cycling problem

Post by CZShooter » Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:23 pm

I have an original SBE that is great in moderate weather but if the temps get below 45, the action becomes a slow motion affair and turns my reliable gun into a single shot. I know that things like residual WD-40 and such can cause problems but I don't use them and the action seems a clean as a whistle.

Any suggestions to help solve this troubling problem?
CZShooter

"The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too."

- Samuel Butler

Scott

Post by Scott » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:55 am

Have you tried changing the type of shell? I have the sbeII. I have not had this problem with it but I have had the problem with other shotguns. Some of the cheaper shells don't cycle that well. Just a thought.

tfbirddog2

sbe problem

Post by tfbirddog2 » Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:27 am

First break the gun down clean with solvent to get rid of wd-40 it can rust and draws dirt. Get some Hoppe's gun oil all I use on my Xtrema.Then after it is all clean go buy some good hot 3 1/2'' loads like some federal turkey loads and try fireing about three rounds then shoot some of the rounds that are not want to cycle the big rounds should seat anything and hopfully fix it the is what we do with all of the SBEs and Xtremas at the lodge that was told to me by Scott Carlson of Carlsons Choke tubes a very good friend and Norhtwest Arms is just 30 miles away so I talk to him often and he makes all of Tom Knapp's tubes so I pretty sure he knows what he is talking about too.Just what I would try.Kent #4s work great too.

Oh, yeah cheap low brass wnot spit out my friends Montifeltro too soo he quit shoiting cheapys
" Everyone makes fun of a redneck till their car breaks down"Larry the Cable Guy

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:38 am

And when you clean that gun, be sure to clean the back of the action, the return spring etc. Those are as important to the speed of the action as the mag. tube and all the parts in the front.

Vman

Post by Vman » Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:02 am

What you are experiencing is a weak return spring in the stock. Take your gun to a qualified gunsmith and have the spring removed from the stock and thoroghly clean the tube it slides in. Over time the spring gets weak and some rust can form in the tube from moisture. I am willing to bet it will fix your problem. Typically a spring will last about 10 years.

Lee