CHOKES make me choke

westexasrepublic

CHOKES make me choke

Post by westexasrepublic » Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:16 pm

I feel like somedays I make a perfect change of my choke for the hunting I am doing at the time, but maybe Im not at all. So.....with everyone's help and input I would like to know what size and possibly brand/type of choke is best for a day of hunting...

Quail -
Pheasant -
Grouse -
Dove -
Geese -
Ducks -

If yall can fill in the blanks and add to the list as you please.
Soouthland's Duke of Hearts
Little Lady Maple

ImageEdit This PedigreeGet Your Free Pedigree Today! WEST TEXAS

Razor

Re: CHOKES make me choke

Post by Razor » Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:48 pm

I use a light mod for everything. During the early ruff grouse season I switch to a skeet but that is the only change I ever make.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:03 pm

Improved and Mod. is all I ever use. It just isn't much of an issue with me as long as you stay with one of those but improved would be my choice if I only had one.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Ditch__Parrot

Post by Ditch__Parrot » Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:26 pm

Quail - Mod
Pheasant - Mod
Grouse - Mod(chickens)
Dove - Mod
Geese - Improved
Ducks - Improved

Remchoke for all

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:03 pm

I use Skeet/IC with screw in chokes, but with fixed chokes, then I'd go with IC/Lt Mod. If I want a bigger pattern I can just use spreader loads.

The exception to that is on my Remington Sportsman 48 in 16 gauge, which I had opened up to Skeet 2 so I could shoot steel with it for ducks. It works well for everything though.
Last edited by nj gsp on Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:01 pm

I only pheasant and quail hunt so for pheasant I use modified and improved modified and for quail I use skeet and improved cylinder. Early in the pheasant season I will use improved cylinder and modified.

wburns

Post by wburns » Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:35 pm

I don't hunt quail due to we don't have them, but for everything else I use a combination of chokes. For Upland birds I shoot a side by side so my chokes are different due to I have two. I use Improved Cylinder and Modified Carlson flush mount tubes from early to late season. If I had to choose one, I would use Modified. For Ducks and Geese I use a Benelli with an extended full choke called the Under Taker by HR Strut. I have had great success with these chokes, but I would pattern your shot to see which ones work best with the loads you preffer. A lot can be told from patterning your gun. Chokes may be the least problem, you may find a stock fitting will improve your performance more. Based on your build, fitting will help in different degrees. If you are built similar to the average persons demensions your gun was built to fitting will help very little. If you have a short stocky upper body like mine a fitting will help immensly.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:36 pm

It's not so much what you're shooting at, but how far away it is that determines what choke to use.

For example, if you're shooting ducks right in your face, you need a skeet or I/C. If you're pass shooting them, you need a tighter choke. That is even complicated by the lead/steel/whatever question.

Pheasant? Are the holding over pointing dogs or are they flushing wild way out there?

Dove? Back home, we hunted summer doves with skeet or I/C, but had to go to mod or full for the winter doves that where whizzing by at 50 yards.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:15 pm

I agree to a point with you Greg but I also think it matters what size shot you are using. I did shoot some pheasant this year with skeet and improved cylinder in my 12 gauge over and under using superspeed winchester #6 because the dogs were nailing them down on points. I had some poor hit birds so I went back to using modified and improved modified chokes. I could have sized up to #5 or even #4 but had already purchased enough #6 to last the season. A lot of the poor hit birds were due to a poor hatch this summer and the fact that most of the birds I shot were big healthy 2 year old birds.

vikings269

Post by vikings269 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:42 am

I use improved cylinder at all times and adjust loads, thats the key. Of course if i get drawn for turkey i'd certainly put in the x-full choke and lighten my shot size! I wouldnt recommend firing slugs through tighter chokes though. In answer to your question improved cylinder almost always!

Tejas

Post by Tejas » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:24 pm

I only hunt quail, dove and pheasant. I use skeet for quail and improved cylinder for dove and pheasant.

donnie_19

Post by donnie_19 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:00 am

There are several different manufacturers of chokes. They do make a difference but you have to shoot a lot of paper and loads to determine the best choke, pattern and load for your shotgun. The better chokes do pattern better with less holes in the pattern. I have Rhino choke in my turkey gun and it has an awesome pattern at 50 yds. I have Briley chokes in my 20 gauge browning and they have a much better pattern than the stock browning invectors. Less holes in the pattern.