best turkey loads

tanner

best turkey loads

Post by tanner » Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:44 pm

wats your opinion about the best turkey loads, for me its winchester supreme 3 1/2 inch #5 shot.

NE Vizsla

Post by NE Vizsla » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:00 pm

I use the Federal 3 1/2 i think they are 6 shot. I feel you dont really need to use a 3 1/2 inch and that a 3 inch would do just fine. I use 3 1/2's to justify to myself for owning a gun that shoots 3 1/2's. After all we are shooting them in the head and it only takes a few pellets to get the job done. Our season opens here this coming Saturday..im really excited to get after one as I have been seeing them out strutting around. A few of the ones I have been watching are some really nice long beards.

16gauge

Post by 16gauge » Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:19 am

16 gauge 1 1/4 oz buffered handload, with nickel plated #5s. Prior to that, I used 3" Federal premium 2 oz copper plated #4s in my 12 gauge.

Hasty

Post by Hasty » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:42 pm

There are so many good combinations out there between different guns, loads, and chokes, that it boggles the mind. The best thing is whatever works best for you and your conditions and shot distances, and the amount of recoil you can handle.

However, I use the same thing as you tanner.

3.5inch, 2oz. #5, win supreme's. I use a rem. 870 with an extended hastings .665 choke. You can really reach out and touch'em . My longest is 52 yards, but my turkey hunting partner kills them at 55-60yards every year, but his gun is shooting #4's and is basically a rifle out to about 25 yards. There are more expensive loads out there but in real world performance they as good as anything else. Where I hunt in Missouri I'd say 50-70% of the guys I know use this load with #4's being the most popular.

MSC SMOKE

Post by MSC SMOKE » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:54 pm

IMO, for as few shots as you take at turkey every year, there is really no good reason not to go ahead and shoot some find of Hevi*Shot. In the guns I have patterned, Hevi13 always out does the Win and Federal.
If you want the best of the best, then get yourself some Nitros (and I dont mean from Remington). Nothing compares to them but they are EXPENSIVE. I have a local place where I can buy singles. Killed a bird Monday of this week with a 3 1/2" Nitro in an 870. Killed one yesterday with a 3" Nitro out of my Benelli. For the best pattern out of particular gun/choke combo-- get on some of the turkey forums and somebody has probably already come up with it.

Hasty

Post by Hasty » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:34 pm

That's a valid point, most guys don't shoot more than 5 or 6 shells a year at turkeys, bad shots and trigger happiness included.

But when your talking over $6 per shell that could get expensive. Developing a good load and choke combination better not take very long! Shoot more than 7 of them at the range dialing your gun in and your talking over $120 for turkey ammo for the season. Unless you're a pro and have sponsors provide you with everything, that's a lot of dough.

You can make just about any load or brand shoot well if you work up your combinations right. I've shot a lot of the high dollar johnny-come-lately stuff, win. sp. elite, hevi 13, rem. hevi shot (looks like welding slag if you open one up). If money is no object for you the premium stuff will shoot better. You can downsize your shot, increasing pellet count while retaining the energy of standard shot a size larger. It is great if your competing. Or you can shoot a size that you normally do and really get out there as long as the gun shoots pretty tight. However with typical shot sizes for turkey the difference between 18-21 pellets and 21-24 in the vitals @ 40 yds is small. Most of my shots average around 30 yards and at that distance their head is pretty much hamburger and dead is dead, not 10% more dead.

splucinski

Post by splucinski » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:01 pm

I heard about Nitro shells about 3-4 years ago. They are 3.5 inch 4x5x7. I've had 4 different turkey guns over that time, Remington 11-87, Browning Gold, Winchester SX2 and Mossberg 835. They have shot great out of every gun. I patterned them in the Mossberg last week. At 40 yards, I got 287 pellets in a 10 inch circle. I love the way they pattern, but I'm not sure I want to pay $150 for a box of 25 when I run out.

NE Vizsla

Post by NE Vizsla » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:26 pm

The only Nitro's I have used were from Remington and they were a good shell..I bought them for turkeys but ended up using them on yotes. I think its better to have a nice tight pattern then what shell you use. I have a extended full patternmaster and that keeps it nice and tight, in the head at 30 yards and they dont flop around much.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:12 am

Number six Heavi Shot.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

MSC SMOKE

Post by MSC SMOKE » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:37 am

At 40 yards, I got 287 pellets in a 10 inch circle/
That's a great pattern and fairly typical for the Nitros. I agree, most any turkey gun can be matched to a choke/load combo to perform well out to 40 yds. It all depends on what you want and how much you are willing to spend. And how much you hunt. I hunt almost every morning if I can and the weather is decent(except Sundays.) I hunt AL & TN.

People can save a lot of money and time by reading the forums about theirr particuliar gun and then go with whatever people are having success with and then PATTERN IT YOURSELF!!

tfbirddog2

turkey loads

Post by tfbirddog2 » Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:41 am

I have used them all, But I have had way to much luck with hevishots #5s last year got my first double first bird full strut 28 yrds, second bird 47 yrds out of the air.Unless they quit making them I will forever be a hevishot, dont get me wrong nothing at all wrong with Federal especialy the flitecontrolled I like that shell or the winchester Surpreme( not happy with the buffer falling out).The last three years though the turkeys I shot with Hevishot I have peeled the skin off the skull and deader than a wedge.Has anyone used the Fiochi Golden Turkey if it is like their pheasent loads they should be pretty good.I use a Carlson's Super Extra Full choke for the Xtrema, and Extra Full factory Mossberg 835 choke.
" Everyone makes fun of a redneck till their car breaks down"Larry the Cable Guy

scout_on_38s

Fiochi

Post by scout_on_38s » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:28 am

I bought a box of the Fiochi's but haven't had a chance to try them yet. I was thinking the same, if they are good as their pheasant loads they should be pretty devastating.
Murphy- RIP
Cali- 3yo Black/White Ticked Patched GSP.... http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=1052
Daisy- 3mo Black/White Patched GSP

gwgdog66

Post by gwgdog66 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:41 pm

I like the heavishot #6 in my 20 gage, and Winchester Supreme Extended range #5's in my 12 gage.

highcotton
GDF Premier Member!

Post by highcotton » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:13 pm

How long does it take to regain consciousness after shooting those cannons. :lol:

tfbirddog2

trukey loads

Post by tfbirddog2 » Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:23 am

They dont kick any worse to me than 2 3/4s then again Im 6',2" 260lbs although in my old 835 you can feel them alot more than the Berretta.

Kill out of one end cripple out of the other! Right?
" Everyone makes fun of a redneck till their car breaks down"Larry the Cable Guy

bird

Post by bird » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:26 am

Last edited by bird on Fri May 02, 2008 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

gwgdog66

Post by gwgdog66 » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:57 pm

highcotton wrote:How long does it take to regain consciousness after shooting those cannons. :lol:
I never feel or hear the shot when a long beard is in my sights :D Image

Sorno

Re: best turkey loads

Post by Sorno » Fri May 02, 2008 1:20 pm

I use my 10ga with Winchester Supreme® Double-X® High Velocity Turkey in #5 shot. It has the best pattern in both barrels on my O/U. When I used my 870 both Winchester and Hevi Shot. Both patterned well.

birdogg42

Re: best turkey loads

Post by birdogg42 » Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:26 am

I shoot winchester extended range #6. through a SBE II with a jelly head choke. Wouldnt try anything else.