Time for chukars

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Time for chukars

Post by DGFavor » Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:59 pm

Well, we managed get thru the sharptail season so no more excuses but to go vertical I guess. Took a few tentative steps up the hill today, wasn't so bad so went to the top to see what we could see. Bugsy managed to get a couple nice points but his 'ol man was stumbling and bumbling around like a flatlander so the chukar population was still intact when we were done. Coupla pics:

Casper

Post by Casper » Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:45 pm

At least there are a few still around. Gonna have to tell those that ask where to find birds this year that they are all up Notellem Canyon and Mylipsaresealed Creek.

Great pics

AceofSpades41

Post by AceofSpades41 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:28 pm

Some sweet pics Doug be out that way on business next week !!!!! :D

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:34 pm

Gonna have to tell those that ask where to find birds this year that they are all up Notellem Canyon and Mylipsaresealed Creek.
Man, that's the truth! This was a new spot for me to try even though I've driven by it a gazillion times. Decided this was the year to lug my carcass up there and check it out.

(Hey Casper - talked to Rich and it was one of those pre-made nylon strap trailer ties that he would use to tie his horses head around while he worked birds - you can adjust the length of those nylon straps to make 'em just right! Told him to call ya' and cough up some more of his horse hunting secrets)

Sounds good Ace! Throw in yer boots!

Maverick

Post by Maverick » Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:16 pm

Man you guys hunt some beautiful country!! Great pictures!
Looks like you need to be part billy goat to get around up there though.

Mav....
We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare.
And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
-M. Acklam

Knine's Ghost Rider

Paisley

Ch Ruffwood's Dixie Girl FD

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:28 pm

I don't know what you gotta be to get around in that country Mav but I tell ya' the 'ol boy Stitchy laid it to me today. Holy cow, he about killed me off but I tell ya' what, in years like this when birds numbers are down, I think it takes a dog that'll cover some huge chunks of ground to find some birds. The dog's a freak, he's slowing down for sure but still aging better than me - not sure I'll ever have another like him. (ya, blatant bragging, sorry! :oops: )

Coupla Stitchy chuks from today:

Maverick

Post by Maverick » Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:03 pm

Sounds like the bragging is well deserved by your dog sir!
Keep the great pictures coming.

Mav.......
We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare.
And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
-M. Acklam

Knine's Ghost Rider

Paisley

Ch Ruffwood's Dixie Girl FD

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:15 pm

Complete goose-egg today!! Zip, zilch, nada. I can't feel my legs but I presume they are still there.

AceofSpades41

Post by AceofSpades41 » Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:37 pm

LOL Doug :lol: Great pics :D !!!!

Casper

Post by Casper » Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:26 am

DGFavor wrote:Complete goose-egg today!! Zip, zilch, nada. I can't feel my legs but I presume they are still there.
I had pretty good luck. Had 3 covey finds and two seperate singles. Managed to shoot the second single but guess I didnt hit it hard enough and it run off. Dog wasnt much interested in that bird she rather go and point a covey 300 yards further down the hill. :roll:

Wore out that pony of mine. Poor guy sure isnt used to that kind of work. I ended up having to walk him out the last mile. But I tell you that was a neat experience being able to follow my dog on the horse. Looking forward to doing more of that.

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:12 am

Right on Casper! Gonna have to load my ponies up and come try that out with ya'!

NVgsp

Post by NVgsp » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:56 am

So Casper, you are cheating like Doug...huntin them poor little chukar by horseback huh?!?!? Must be nice. :lol:

I have no idea how many miles i have Walked this season, but I do know that I have flung only one (1) shot. YES, 1 shot, and I missed. :cry: Took this past weekend off, just to do some training w/ some stinky pigeons. Sucks I have to pay for birds for the dogs to find. HA
Chris

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:17 pm

Yah Chris, I think it's just gonna be that kind of year. Don't give up - I'm hearing that when guys find some birds, they're usually finding some decent numbers. Just hard to find the isolated areas where the birds had some survival.

Casper

Post by Casper » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:44 am

NVgsp wrote:So Casper, you are cheating like Doug...huntin them poor little chukar by horseback huh?!?!? Must be nice. :lol:
Nice it is. Except when your dog is standing and you think the birds are one place and they flush from another and you manage to miss with both barrels than you walk back to the horse and grab his reigns and he rolls his upper lip at you.

Tells you something :roll:

Hope all is well with you Chris, Party on