Polly, Jan. 8, 2000- Oct. 31, 2007

Thor

Polly, Jan. 8, 2000- Oct. 31, 2007

Post by Thor » Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:11 am

Polly was my first setter, she came to be my dog via a trade. Polly was a avid hunter and handled wild birds very well. She was also well rounded in the field trial world, she was the 2002 Am. National Champion in UFTA, she also had points in NSTRA. But most importantly she was my friend. Yesterday I was hunting some country for pheasants, when her and my male GWP started to work some birds. After tracking up on them and getting them to hold a big covey of huns flushed. I shouldered my 20 guage and dropped a bird. She, Polly, marked the dead bird and went in for the retr. like she had thousands of times. She came back to the edge of the tall grass and stood with the bird in her mouth. I commanded to her to finish the retr.. As she started to finish I seen that her front leg was broken. I ran to her and gave a quick look and then picked her up and carried her around a mile to a mile and a half back to the vehicle. I drove her to the nearest vet and got some x-rays. She broke the bone above her elbow. The break was about 1/2" above her elbow and was broken off all the way up to her shoulder. After a long debate on what was the best thing for the dog, I reluctantly had to make one of the toughest decisions a bird dog owner ever has to make. The vet told me she probably wouldn't ever have control over her left front foot, due to severe nerve damage. Polly was an outstanding dog and will not be forgotten. For some reason my computer isn't allowing me to download pics of her. As soon as it starts to work I will put a few pics of her on the site. Thanks and have a good day. JW

BTW- The hun she was retr. is going to my taxidermist.
Nothing beats and early morning rise, be it a trout or a covey.
www.sandstonegundogs.netkennel.com

KY Grouse Hunter

Post by KY Grouse Hunter » Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:29 am

Thats awful. Just be glad you had that dog of a liftime. Some people don't even get that. Sorry.
Sally's Branch Duke
Sally's Branch Copper

CZShooter

Post by CZShooter » Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:34 am

:( Man that's so sad. Sorry for your loss.
CZShooter

"The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too."

- Samuel Butler

Firstarrow

Post by Firstarrow » Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:00 am

Sorry for your loss. That decision is one of the toughest to make. Best of luck to you and yours.!!!

Anaconda Pintler

Post by Anaconda Pintler » Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:07 pm

Here you go Bro, I found these on my photobucket of the many hunts we have shared together along with Polly, sorry again to hear this, I knew when you called last night something was wrong in your voice, one thing about it she is hunting the best grounds known to any of us that is full full wild birds, Point them with a straight tail little Polly girl you will be missed!

Polly and AP:

Has nothing to do with luck just boot leather and a fine GWP...

AHGSP
GDF Junkie

Post by AHGSP » Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:46 pm

My sincerest apologies. A beautiful girl for certain.
Bruce Shaffer

"If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten"
Mark Twain

Bruce, Raine, Storm and GSP's
Almost Heaven GSP's
"In Search of the Perfect GSP";)

Anaconda Pintler

Post by Anaconda Pintler » Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:56 pm

Another pic I found from last fall of Polly being honored by DGFavor's Trixie dog while hunting sharptails on the ranch in MT.

Coach529

Post by Coach529 » Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:57 pm

Sorry for your loss Thor. I have also had to had to make the choice to put a companion down.....it was the hardest choice I ever made.

schultz's honor

Post by schultz's honor » Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:16 pm

I am so sorry for the decision that you were forced to make and the loss of a good friend. A year and 2 months ago my wife and I were face with the same decision. It is absolutely horrible the sorrow we go through with the loss of our faithful companions.

Schultz's Honor

WiskeyJaR

Post by WiskeyJaR » Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:31 pm

Sorry to hear :(

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:46 pm

Well, sh!t. JW, thinkin' of ya man! Dang dogs...whoever came up with 'em being man's best friend sure knew what the heck they were talking about.

AT2

Post by AT2 » Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:49 pm

Dang, I am so sorry for your loss. I have only started to feel this way about my dogs. I cant imagine how this feels for you. I tried to put myself in your shoes just now and I can imagine how hard that was to do.

midwestfisherman

Post by midwestfisherman » Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:25 pm

Dam, thats a tough one. I'm sorry for your loss.
Image * Image

"Your best conservation tool is a well trained hunting dog"

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:49 pm

Wow, I am very sorry. Was that the setter Rick worked for Stacey? She sure looked familiar. Hope I never gotta make that decision. :(
brenda

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:56 pm

I'm so sorry for your loss. She was beautiful.
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

Anaconda Pintler

Post by Anaconda Pintler » Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:25 am

Yes Brenda it is the same setter that Rick worked. She was a sweet little thing, and was a helluva bird dog, these are the type of things that nobody ever thinks is going to happen to them.

hubweims

Post by hubweims » Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:28 am

prayers and best wishes sent your way. polly sure was a beautiful dog. keep you chin up even though it seems hard to do.

Thor

Post by Thor » Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:50 am

Thank you everyone for your kind thoughts and words. Like I said, she wasn't just a bird dog to me she was my best friend. She was a joy to around. Even when life had a bad turn I could always count on seeing that little white dog and everything else just faded away. She was a teacher to alot of people who got to hunt behind her. She will always be missed and never forgotten. Times like these makes you wonder if it is all worth it or not, thing I walk outside and see the rest of my pack and say yes. Thanks again and have a good 1. JW
Nothing beats and early morning rise, be it a trout or a covey.
www.sandstonegundogs.netkennel.com

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:34 am

Thor,

Why don't you put your memories about Polly in the"Tribute to the Departed" forum where it will stay for all to read? You have made a couple of posts on here that should be preserved.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Maverick

Post by Maverick » Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:12 pm

So sorry for your loss of Polly. She was a beautiful dog and from the posts you have made brought you many great days afield and graced you with many wonderful memories.

God Bless,

Mav.....
We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare.
And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
-M. Acklam

Knine's Ghost Rider

Paisley

Ch Ruffwood's Dixie Girl FD

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:21 pm

I'm very sorry for your loss.

Sincere condolences, Greg J.

AceofSpades41

Post by AceofSpades41 » Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:34 pm

Sorry for your loss my friend :cry: , God Bless !!!