Hungarian Partridge

arrowbanshee

Hungarian Partridge

Post by arrowbanshee » Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:16 am

I was talking to my uncle in Nebraska this weekend and he said they dont have chickens there but that they do have Hungarian Partridge. Does anybody hunt these, and if so what can you tell me about them?

Brushbustin Sporting Dogs

Post by Brushbustin Sporting Dogs » Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:59 am

He must live in the north east part of the state. Don't know much about Hun's there a covey bird and kinda look like a half grown pheasent from what i've seen. I know nebraska has them in certain areas really would like to hunt them I just haven't found any where I know in state that has them. If you need help hunting them I could come help you learn more about them up close and personal. :lol:
Robert Myers

Rajin Kennel

308-870-3448

Brittanys are Best enough said...

BBD's Ca-Ching
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1061

Brushbustin's Ebbie SH
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=678

BNJ's Dirty Dozen Dixie
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=869

Don
GDF Junkie

Post by Don » Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:08 am

Used to hunt a lot of them here in Ore. Thing about Huns was that they were incidental birds. That is, nobody went hunting for them, you just got them with most other birds you hunted in arid country. They counted against your limit of Chukars and you had to look to notice the difference, or listen. Chukars make a funny little "kluck" sound when they flush, Hun's don't. Hun's will also fly up the hill. Chukars generally run to the top and fly down,,,,to the bottom!

Hun's hold very well for dogs, probally because the cover is heavier than what Chukars are normally found in. Great bird and I hope that to many don't figure it out. In this state hunting them is like hunting Quail, lot of them taken but realitively few people go just for them.
Never set your dog up to fail - Delmar smith

The greatest room in the world is the room for improvement - William F. Brown

Some people think to much like people and not enough like dogs!

Anaconda Pintler

Post by Anaconda Pintler » Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:06 pm

I have hunted Huns for years at home in Montana, but when hunting Chukars in ID last fall for the first time we found loads of Huns I guess unlike Oregon Idaho has a different bag limit eight Huns, and eight Chukars. Montana was sort of a chance encounter with the little birds, but ID we hunted them and everything else was chance for us we did very well on them. They and the Sharptail are my favorite birds to hunt I made three different trips from GA to ID to hunt them last year and can't wait until this fall. They seem to be where they are but like stated in an earlier thread seems more arid country harbors more but the more sage and cheatgrass in ID and MT the better off we did. They can get real jumpy with a little pressure or on windy days dogs soon learn to point way back off of the birds to keep from bumping them they are very sporty on the wing, as well and eat good to. Have fun they are fun to hunt.
[/img]Image
Image[/img]
Has nothing to do with luck just boot leather and a fine GWP...

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:30 pm

We have had thenm here in the nortern midwest for years but never get very thick. They are great birds about the size of a cornish hen dressed. Never saw many dressed as around here they are extremely spooky and will normally flush wild 2 to 300 yeards in front of you. If we want to hunt them the normal procedure is to flush them and follow. The second and third flush they will hold pretty well.

Great covey bird, great eating, and hard to get next to is my experience.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

arrowbanshee

Post by arrowbanshee » Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:49 pm

thanks for the replies, I dont know how thick they are but he said they have them so hopefully I can taste a couple of those this winter.

arrowbanshee

Post by arrowbanshee » Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:51 pm

brushbustin - If I find the hunting good, I might be willing to pick you up but it would involve a long ride in a truck blindfolded :lol: :lol:

bird

Post by bird » Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:31 pm

Last edited by bird on Fri May 02, 2008 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Don
GDF Junkie

Post by Don » Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:19 pm

arrowbanshee wrote:brushbustin - If I find the hunting good, I might be willing to pick you up but it would involve a long ride in a truck blindfolded :lol: :lol:
Would ya pick me up too? I won't mind the blindfold the first five or six min! :D

Chaingang

Post by Chaingang » Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:45 pm

Hun's hold very well for dogs
Sometimes... but not always, at least where I run into them. I've run into them frequently when out in ND and those little buggers can sometimes rival a pheasant with their ability run and slip away from a good dog. You are right though, in the right cover as does a pheasant, they will hold under the right conditions.

Brushbustin Sporting Dogs

Post by Brushbustin Sporting Dogs » Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:10 pm

I'd probably have to ride in the back as your dog would be in the front seat but that would work for me just have always wanted to hunt them just to add another gamebird to the list ya know. You'll have to let me know how things go with hunting them. Where does he live? you can give me a a rough area if you don't wanna give up the paticulars of your potential sweet spot :wink:
Robert Myers

Rajin Kennel

308-870-3448

Brittanys are Best enough said...

BBD's Ca-Ching
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1061

Brushbustin's Ebbie SH
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=678

BNJ's Dirty Dozen Dixie
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=869

arrowbanshee

Post by arrowbanshee » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:33 am

Don - where do you live?

Brush - sending you a pm

Im gonna have to get a dog box, the dogs can ride up front and all the hunters in the dog box that way they cant see where we are going :lol:

Don
GDF Junkie

Post by Don » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:36 am

Antelope, Ore. What time you be here? :D

arrowbanshee

Post by arrowbanshee » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:08 am

I am thinking I would run out of gas money before I ever made it that far :lol: :lol:

Don
GDF Junkie

Post by Don » Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:45 am

RAT'S! :(

wannabe

Post by wannabe » Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:02 pm

Huns are very near the top of my list of favorite upland game. I have hunted them as far east as Delaware County, Iowa and as far west as eastern Oregon, though I have shot most in western North Dakota.

Early in the season the young birds hold pretty well for pointing dogs, but I have seen them flush 100 yards ahead of the dog towards the end of the season. They make a sound like a squeaky gate when they flush, and they usually stay together and land in a piece of cover on the other side of a hill. I usually follow up and work the dogs into the wind towards where I think they landed. Huns are a lot like quail, because they can usually be found in the same area throughout the season and year to year, especially around abandon farm yards or fallow fields.
Soggy Bottom Kennels
Home of:
Soggy Bottom's Dapper Dan
Belly Acres Whinehard
Soggy Bottom's Juicy Butte
Soggy Bottom's Bonafide
Soggy Bottom's Col. Angus

SeventhSon

Post by SeventhSon » Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:38 am

We always run into huns when we're chukar hunting. Chase the chukar up the slopes and work the flats, that's where the huns are.
They hold well for the dogs (here) and are an exciting flush, challenging shot.
Hope I don't offend anyone but I find them to be a stinky bird. I generally seperate them from my chukar because they smell so bad.

parshal

Re: Hungarian Partridge

Post by parshal » Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:40 pm

arrowbanshee wrote:I was talking to my uncle in Nebraska this weekend and he said they dont have chickens there but that they do have Hungarian Partridge.
No chickens? He must mean no chickens in his area of the state. You can hunt both chickens and shartails in the Sandhills of Nebraska. It's one of the best places in the country to hunt both. Lots and lots of space.

I love huns but never get a chance to focus on them. I love them because they squeak when they flush.

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:14 pm

If you get any Huns, skin one or two and give the hides to a fly tying buddy and you'll have a friend for life. The body feathers are highly sought after for tying nymph patterns.