Where to HUNT in Kansas

Oggie

Where to HUNT in Kansas

Post by Oggie » Mon May 28, 2007 12:50 pm

IN the Last Two years for me it has been harder and harder for me to find a good place to hunt. There is a lot of public land by me but no birds.Would like to stay on the eastern, northeastern region if any could point me in the right directon to find where the birds are.Thanks :oops:

tfbirddog2

ks hunting?

Post by tfbirddog2 » Tue May 29, 2007 11:11 am

"Go west young man", Oggie sorry to tell you, but there is nothing left to hunt in NE.Ks. it gets so much traffic from the Kc city folks that dont want to drive and from the nw.mo and se.neb folks its not funny I mena there are spots, with all of the flooding east of salina you are going to have to drive west of salina.I used to hunt alot south of abiline and limit every time out.I grew up in K.C.Ks. so it was nothing to skip school head to abiline for a couple of hours and be back with know one knowing anything.Something to try close is marysville, concordia, beloit, or glen elder.Sorry believe me I have hunted my share of dry fields in eastern Ks.I live in Colby, ks with in-laws that farm and know lots of farms ot boot but the quail are few and far and I shut-up about those.Where are you at?
" Everyone makes fun of a redneck till their car breaks down"Larry the Cable Guy

arrowbanshee

Post by arrowbanshee » Tue May 29, 2007 11:32 am

I dont have anything to add to this post really, I have hunted just outside Abilene. I will be watching very closely and taking notes as I live in Ottawa, Kansas...30 minutes south of K.C.

bobman

Post by bobman » Wed May 30, 2007 6:57 am

this is a good this to discuss via Pms if you dont want a bunch of internet scouters invading your hunting area
currently two shorthairs, four english pointers, one Brittany, one SPRINGER a chihuahua and a min pin lol

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:05 pm

Good I idea bobman, but i throw caution to the wind since all my is private and I have a pretty good wrap on all of it :lol: !
I live in the NE part of the state and there are plenty of birds around. ( Not to brag but having good dogs helps) You need to start talking to some farmers and getting permission. You arent going to find many birds on most of the walk in cause all the Johnson county guys end up hunting it pretty hard. Some people are good at talking with/ relating to farmers and really taking the TIME that it takes to start and maintain good realationships and others arent. Now is the perfect time to start talking to them, most are mowing and baling hay or just starting on the wheat harvest so they will be out! Good luck!
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

mrsb73122

Where to HUNT in Kansas

Post by mrsb73122 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:17 pm

Arrowbanshee wrote:
I dont have anything to add to this post really, I have hunted just outside Abilene. I will be watching very closely and taking notes as I live in Ottawa, Kansas...30 minutes south of K.C.

I grew up in Ottawa and my mom still lives there. I have a cousin with a farm not far from there that's going to let us hunt this fall.
Sharon B.

arrowbanshee

Post by arrowbanshee » Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:52 am

mrsb73122 - sent you a pm

Oggie - if you are already in the north east corner, head north to Nebraska

Perdido

Post by Perdido » Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:08 am

arrowbanshee wrote:I dont have anything to add to this post really, I have hunted just outside Abilene. I will be watching very closely and taking notes as I live in Ottawa, Kansas...30 minutes south of K.C.
There's a good and active Quail Forever or Unlimited group right there. Join em!
PVA.org needs you to send them 3 bucks.