Grouse: Best way to hunt.

grant
GDF Junkie

Grouse: Best way to hunt.

Post by grant » Mon Nov 08, 2004 5:45 pm

My brother and I are thinking of taking backpacking trip up in the N. GA mountains for a few days to do some grouse hunting. He was just up their on a backpacking trip and said he flushed some bird larger than a quail, and smaller than a turkey. He thought maybe is was a young turkey, but I told him its probably a grouse?

So, Bell and I have only hunted quail. Do the grouse behave the same way when being hunted? From the GDF, I think I gather that they flush pretty easy???

Grant

blitzkrieg

Grouse

Post by blitzkrieg » Mon Nov 08, 2004 9:57 pm

Grant,
They're a good bit more "flighty" here around the southern end of their range. Luck to ya, Aaron

ward myers

grouse

Post by ward myers » Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:25 pm

grant ,i spent a week in tenn. grouse hunting with my quail dogs just to watch them flush 60 ft in front of my dogs.i used to
quail hunt with a guy from wisconsin that grouse hunted up there .
he had a setter that would point a covey of birds 40 yards away & catwalk in on them once we got to him. I asked him why his dog did that & he replied thats how you hunt grouse :cry:

PA_Sportsman

re:

Post by PA_Sportsman » Tue Nov 09, 2004 12:22 pm

When hunting grouse with a pup, don't expect many points. Grouse are hands down the toughest bird for a dog to hunt. They are just to jumpy to allow a pup to get close. I've had Gracie out on 9 grouse hunts and have only produced 1 decent point.

Grouse are the BEST training tool for your pup, however Expect a lot of bumped birds. It will take you pup some time to become comfortable with hunting the thick grouse cover, but his range should increase with confidence.

Good luck!!

dhondtm

Post by dhondtm » Tue Nov 09, 2004 1:32 pm

The Garmin Rino 130 seemed like a neat little devices to me. The idea of having a GPS built into your 2 way radio just seemed nice. Suppose to be able to track other radio units so you can't get lost from each other and that could be really good in case of an emergency.

I have no experience with these radios, I've just been keeping an eye on them since the last version they had. I still haven't purchased them though. Has anyone tried these? It just gets expensive though because it's like buying 2 GPS devices.

Decoy

Re: grouse

Post by Decoy » Tue Nov 09, 2004 5:13 pm

ward myers wrote:i spent a week in tenn. grouse hunting
Where in TN did you go?

Grant, i will agree with everyone else here, alot of flushes before a point, but alot of steady to flushes. The most rewarding game bird to hunt IMHO.

blitzkrieg

grouse points

Post by blitzkrieg » Tue Nov 09, 2004 9:36 pm

Well, I recently moved back to Tennessee from Montana and will tell you I/dogs didn't have much trouble pointing grouse there. They didn't run much(some walked) and about a third will simply hop up into a tree if pressured too hard by the dog. After a bit the dogs begin to look for them in the trees if they flush wild. The grouse here are just plain wild. There are so few here in SE Tennessee, I guess they have to be to survive. Let's try for quail and pheasant in Kansas over Thanksgiving :P . Goodluck hunting, Aaron

ward myers

grouse

Post by ward myers » Tue Nov 09, 2004 10:17 pm

i believe the town was called bailington
i hunted on a 500 acre box canyon they call them hollers there
it was north central part of tennesse