Great trip today!

grant
GDF Junkie

Great trip today!

Post by grant » Sat Oct 23, 2004 6:26 pm

I went hunting at the plantation today. The plantation is establishing good coveys of birds this year. I took Kage out first with no gun. He ran up about 15 birds. He had that nose as high as it could go. I was amazed to see him work the wind like he did at such a young age. Like I said, the plantation has been establishing these semi-wild coveys, so they put Kage to the test. I couldn't help thinking about the training he was getting! I could see his mind turning as he stalked his birds. Today, I didn't train Kage, I threw him into the elements and let the birds train him. It was fun.

Now Bell, and I went out and flushed up about 3 coveys. I didn't want to be greedy, so I took one bird, and the other times shot in the air, so Bell wouldn't get mad at me for not making an attempt. After that, Bell and I moved to the mountain side. Like Kage, Bell worked the wind great! She busted two birds when she circled up wind. She looped back around and shot down the mountain. She locks up hard. I circled up the hill to walk towards her. I saw the covey slowly moving away from Bell. I was easing in about 15 yards out. The birds were making their way up the hill, and then Bell took one step. Then covey broke, and birds went everywhere. I could have taken a shot, but I didn't want to reward her for the mistake. We did go get one of the singles though. We worked our way down the mountain. Very Steep!!! Bell locks up on a single from about 10 yards. I couldn't find the bird. A glance at Bell's face took me right to where the bird would be. She had the spot pinpointed by smell. I went to flush and the bird took off! I took a shot, but missed it in the thick cover. We hunted down to the bottom of the mountain. I almost died coming back up! After about 3 hours of walking the mountain side we worked the edge of the woods. Bell found another covey, and I took one from it. I took bell for a swim then it was picture time.

Bell with "her" birds

No Bell! We go through this every time. We cook them first!

sudiegirl

Post by sudiegirl » Sat Oct 23, 2004 7:11 pm

she looks so proud!! (and should be!) good hunting!! can't wait for monday... grouse season opens!

Country-Side Breeders

Post by Country-Side Breeders » Sat Oct 23, 2004 7:19 pm

That's a beautiful picture of Bell and the birds on the rock! She sure has grown into a pretty young lady...and great hunter, too!

Rusti's Mom

Post by Rusti's Mom » Sat Oct 23, 2004 7:54 pm

She is a pretty one.

Pat

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Sat Oct 23, 2004 11:54 pm

I like the way she smiles for the camera instead of gulping down those birds. :lol:

Quail season doesn't open here in IL until November. I got a couple more weeks to wait. I'm hoping to get Justus out on a couple rough hunts this season, just for my family. He'll be good enough to hunt over, but far from finished.

If we shoot birds over him and he had made a mistake, should we not give him the opportunity to retrieve, or still let him try because he's learning?
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

Katies Dad

Post by Katies Dad » Sun Oct 24, 2004 3:00 am

You have a great looking pup! Quail and pheasant season doesn't open here till Nov 13th. I can't wait!

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Sun Oct 24, 2004 10:24 am

I don't think its open here either except for the plantations that make a living off of hunts. I guess DNR gives them an extended season....

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Sun Oct 24, 2004 4:04 pm

It probably has something to do with a permit or something. When I tried to pick up some quail from a game farm/hunting preserve, they told me I couldn't take them with me unless I had a permit from the DNR because, as gamebirds, quail were protected by the State.

I COULD, however, plant and hunt the birds on their preserve. I didn't shoot any, but when I came back to the shed to pay for 'em, there was a few fellas inside that had just gotten back from a hunt. They said they got 10 out of 12 birds.

I guess hunting preserves that stock their own fields with pen-raised birds must have some sort of exemption from hunting seasons. I'll have to check into that now, just out of curiosity.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

tfbirddog2

Post by tfbirddog2 » Sun Oct 24, 2004 7:22 pm

Most all of your lodges or preserves in U.S. can open Sept.1st to march 31st because I believe the of releasing of birds for hunting to replentish what is taken. 90% of our hunts we release sometime before the hunt, days or hours. Usually noboby hunt till late sept. or oct. because of the heat.In Kansas you can hunt Chuckar all year since they are not native.So check you state laws and work your dogs on them if yous states are the same.