looking for a new vest

Bduke7645

looking for a new vest

Post by Bduke7645 » Tue Apr 19, 2022 5:58 am

looking for a new strap vest and need some feedback. Thinking of a final rise

Garrison

Re: looking for a new vest

Post by Garrison » Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:03 am

It looks like a nice vest. As far as strap vest in that price range everyone who has purchased a Wingworks have nothing but good to say. They can be hard to get ahold of, because of the following they have grown.

I have two, a Tenzing and an Orvis. The Orvis gets used 95% of the time. It is simple, doesn’t get hot (mesh) and holds just enough. The Tenzing is more like a backpack, and can hold a water bladder. I find the Orvis with two water bottles on the sides and another Tupperware jug in the back to be sufficient and easier to deal with.

I would look at Wingworks, and if you want something even more bare bones/simple, which I have grown to appreciate the Filson or Orvis regular old strap vests for comparison before you pull the trigger. I am sure you will be happy with any of them.

Garrison
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
- Mark Twain-

NebBirdHunter

Post by NebBirdHunter » Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:52 am

I have been using a final rise vest for this last hunting season and personally love it. I have used many different vests and this one is the best by far. You can get what ever you need to customize the vest for your training/hunting needs. I like that I don’t have to worry about wearing to much clothing because they are too heavy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mosby

Post by Mosby » Tue Apr 19, 2022 6:05 pm

I think Filson redesigned their vest recently. Saw a picture the other day and it looked pretty nice but I didn't do any research or comparison.

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:50 pm

If you like a backpack design, look at the Bucks Bags Upland jacket. Most comfortable vest I have ever worn.

Dakotazeb

Post by Dakotazeb » Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:40 pm

The Final Rise looks a lot like the WingWorks. I've had a WingWorks for probably 10+ years and love it. Built like a tank and will last several lifetimes. Carries enough stuff along with the two large water bottles and the game bag is very easy to load.
Janee's August Breeze - Bree
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5

NSTRA Champion Godfather's Dakota Elle 2008-2016
https://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree ... erations=5

skyehunter

Post by skyehunter » Tue May 03, 2022 12:33 pm

Take a look at Marsupial Gear... they have a great modular system, you can add, delete, size up and down all the components... life time warranty... had mine for some time now, use it every Sunday....and it has been a better fit for me than both my filson and WW.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Tue May 03, 2022 1:00 pm

Everyone is different in what they want from a vest and in what they hunt. What kind of gear do you carry? Do you hunt wet or arid country? What kind of bird to you hunt? How long are your hunts?

All of these things matter. If you hunt pheasant, and hunt most of the day, you need a vest with a big enough game bag for three birds or more, if you're running into Sharpies and Huns as well. You will also probably have to carry a box of shells and at least two quarts of water per dog. If you hunt one forty acre cover after the other, you only need one water bottle and a dozen shells.

If you hunt grouse and woodcock, there is usually water nearby and the birds are small, so a large vest isn't needed.

I carry a small first aid kit on me for me and for the dogs ( a larger one in the truck) and I have a gps track-train unit with me along with back up battery.

Point is, only YOU know what you carry hunting. I've been trough a lot of different outfits from strap best to sling packs. The Wingworks II vest is a bulletproof chunk of material but I've pretty much settled down to a sling pack. I like them but they're hard to find. I like them because the pressure if off your shoulders and results in faster and surer gun mounts.

As you can see from the sling pack I'm wearing here, my left shoulder ( I shoot left handed) is totally free of any encumbrance. I like them but to each their own. Slips through grouse cover easily too.

If you buy a good one, whatever you buy, it will last nearly a lifetime.

LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

Shrhr

Post by Shrhr » Tue May 10, 2022 11:25 am

I have an orvis thay I have had for many many years. Holding up well

TroughCreek

Post by TroughCreek » Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:49 pm

I'm looking at a Q5. Orvis is nice too

Mosby

Post by Mosby » Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:18 pm

I recently got a Final Rise Summit. I am planning on hunting some larger areas this fall and will be miles from the truck. I want to be able to carry more water/gear etc., comfortably. I could probably get by with what I already have but decided to add another vest for the fun of it.

azquailguy

Post by azquailguy » Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:36 am

I can only speak for the LL Bean pa’tridge vest but it’s been great in the five or six seasons I’ve had it. Comfortable and plenty of carrying capacity. Might be worth taking a look at.

TheBigShooter

Post by TheBigShooter » Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:13 am

Last fall I went with the Orvis Pro Series and that vest has been great for me, I hunt quite a bit and it hasn't shown any signs of wear.

- Big Shooter

Ccarlton

Post by Ccarlton » Wed Sep 13, 2023 12:14 am

HuntRedi makes a great vest. Similar to strap vest but way easier to carry for long hikes.