Unusual cattail hunt.

weimdogman

Unusual cattail hunt.

Post by weimdogman » Sat Dec 18, 2021 8:03 pm

My farmer friend and I hunted a couple pieces of his cousins ground today. Now the cousin has a couple sons who bring out friends to hunt so I wasn't expecting any bonanza.
Well we had 60+mph winds earlier in the week which flattened some of the cattails. A dusting of light powder cool temp and a slight breeze made for great scenting conditions. My friend is my age but is a very big guy and doesn't move too fast anymore.
I ran 2 dogs as I knew the cover was too much for 1 but not enough for all 3. Friend gets nervous if the dogs start working out of shotgun range , and the thick slough usually slows them down. Those flattened cattails not only allowed the dogs to run across them they mostly supported my 200ibs also. Now that made it feel like I was.walking in deep sand.
We got only 3 birds out of the first small patch. A point on a hen,a wild flush on a rooster and 1 point on a rooster we.bagged. I honestly was afraid the 2 dogs were pointing a coon or coyote and was "bleep" happy to see the rooster come out. Dogs were on point side by side, for well over a minute as I got friend into position.
These late season rooster just do not hold that long especially when you are talking about where to stand and warning it may not be a pheasant.
Anyways we went to the next bigger.plot and conditions were worse. Found birds in bunches but everything but a few hens flushed way wild. We just couldn't move quietly. Ended the hunt with a cattail stalk lancing the inside of a nostril. Left a heck of a blood trail for a 1/4 mile.
Tomorrow is supposed to be 30 rather then 15 and have some virginground to check out.