40 acres and a ....

weimdogman

40 acres and a ....

Post by weimdogman » Fri Dec 17, 2021 10:13 am

40 acres and a fair amount of cover makes for a quick productive hunt! Have a friend who has a nice 40 acres piece I get to hunt after deer season. Only 4 miles from town and somewhat isolated so probably gets plenty of roadhunting and unauthorized pressure. Little snow on the ground but 30° and a slight breeze hunted 35 minutes and bagged 2 roosters ,missed.my 3rd,which kept me from having a chance at the other 4 who slipped out while I was regrouping.
Had some real good work on hens and trailing birds in the intermittant pieces of lighter grass. Dog was solid on point at the edge of a small cattail filled waterway I walked in and kicked around to flush a lone hen. Dog remained solid only following the birds flight. I said let's go and he only lowered his nose and resumed his point. I walked back to him and a hen flushed from a foot in front of him. He did a little foot high leap after it. This is something I have never seen since he was 5 months old. I habitually said whoa and he followed the bird flight and then gave me a oops sorry boss look. I let him stand there while I worked the area for a minute then released him.
One thing I am very aware of is almost all birds taken are young birds. One very seldom bags a older bird,they just are too wary. Also for guys who want a dog who hunts 300+ yards out , these little pieces I am so fond of just wouldn't work well for you,or would they ?

mask

Re: 40 acres and a ....

Post by mask » Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:31 am

A bigger running dog is fine on smaller areas if and that is IF he minds. A bigger running dog does not run past birds at 50 yards just to get to 300 to start hunting. They will stand what they find so distance does not mean much. They might not appreciate getting kept closer than they are used to but if they are trained it will work out most of the time. Keep hunting and keep posting.

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:31 pm

Good hunt weimdogman :D

weimdogman

Post by weimdogman » Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:51 pm

mask wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:31 am
A bigger running dog is fine on smaller areas if and that is IF he minds. A bigger running dog does not run past birds at 50 yards just to get to 300 to start hunting. They will stand what they find so distance does not mean much. They might not appreciate getting kept closer than they are used to but if they are trained it will work out most of the time. Keep hunting and keep posting.
I understand what you are saying and agree. I do know some dogs hunt to "cover" and those dogs can be interested in the looming cattail draw they don't give the grass the attention it needs. I have witnessed my dogs zooming to a spot and having game flush wild perhaps because of the direct charge?