Bobwhite Quail
Ring Necked Pheasant
Woodcock

Thanks
Ace

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:39 pm

7 1/2's for the bobwhite or woodcock, you could also go to 8's. 5's on the pheasant in early season and 4's later. 6's on game farm birds or similar.

Yawallac
GDF Junkie

Post by Yawallac » Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:44 pm

I use 9's for wild quail, woodcock and ruffed grouse. I even use 9's for preserve pheasants and chukars. :)

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:21 pm

I like 4's and 5's for pheasants. I think I have less shot in the table fair. Don't know why it would be different for a different guage gun. They all shoot the same distance, just a few less pellets with lighter loads.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:08 pm

7 1/2-8's for grouse and woodcock, copper plated 5' for Pheasant.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

nj gsp

Re: Preferred Shot

Post by nj gsp » Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:59 pm

AceofSpades41 wrote:Folks

Looking for opinions on the preferable type of shot for both:
.20 gauge
.12 gauge
same for both -
for the following bird types:
Bobwhite Quail
6's
Ring Necked Pheasant
5's and 6's
Woodcock
Haven't hunted them, but I'd imagine I'd just use 6's.

Emptypair

Post by Emptypair » Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:37 am

I have always thought the more the merrier when it came to shot. For woodcock (and the grouse that go along with them here) I have always shot 8's. I imagine that 9's would work and there are a number of folks that shoot them up close. For pheasants I use 5's for the majority of the season but also like to switch to 4's as it get's later on (both copper plated). The majority of the pheasant and all of the quail I have shot here have been on farms. I wouldn't gear either gauge different for shot size either. Being comfortable and practiced with the gun you carry will go a lot further than any type of shot, IMHO.
Put some ground under the dogs...

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Re: Preferred Shot

Post by Greg Jennings » Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:45 am

12 ga / 20 ga: No difference. Same shot size.

BW Quail: 9's early season. 8's late season.

CDP: Copper plated 5's hand loads.

Woodcock: Always ran into them quail hunting, so I was using whatever 9's. They are a small bird and shot at close range, so I think 9's would do best.

Regards,

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:13 am

I used 7 1/2s on pheasant and quail this year, my Dad used to do it this way. I only shot at birds pointed, used an Improved Cyl as most got up very close even in Jan hunting. Head shot every one :) my brother skinned one down and found not one pellet in the body :) a little trick my Dad taught me years ago. He used to do skeet and trap, I saw him shoot 99 out of 100 many times with a winchester model 93? or 96? it was old and heavy with a hammer. He was good. I saw more impossible shots made by him in our years of hunting, I do miss the season without him.
He was a wonder to watch shoot.

I shoot a remington 11-87 LT contour 12 ga. Havent missed one yet wit hthis one, the older model I used to use was very heavy and hard to swing on the wing as Dad used to say. Used a model 1100 for years until I wore the thing out.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

SwitchGrassWPG

Post by SwitchGrassWPG » Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:54 pm

I use steel 6s for quail and pheasants, 12 or 20 ga.

Jay

Tejas

Shot?

Post by Tejas » Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:31 pm

No difference because of guage. My choice is the same as Wagonmasters.

Dawitner

Shot size

Post by Dawitner » Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:35 pm

Definately 8's or 9's on woodcock & grouse, I think the more pellets you get into the air the better off you are. Look at the difference in pellet count as you go up in size (down in number) and you can see the chances of hitting something with a smaller shot size increases dramatically. Ity does not take much to bring down a woodcock or a grouse, but you have to put a bb into it.

Ask "bleep" cheney how many bb's in a load of 8's.

Don
GDF Junkie

Post by Don » Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:28 am

I don't hunt a lot anymore, bad knees. But where I did most my hunting I
could get into phesant's, quail, hun's and chukars all on the same day. I tried 7 1/2's but they were a bit light on the phesant's. I thought 5's were a bit heavy on quail so I generally carried 6 shot for everything. 4's and 5's seemed to work best on phesant's, 6's on huns and chukars and 8's were fine on quail.
Never set your dog up to fail - Delmar smith

The greatest room in the world is the room for improvement - William F. Brown

Some people think to much like people and not enough like dogs!

Windyhills

Post by Windyhills » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:40 pm

Best to go up a shot size or two if you have to shoot steel. In lead, 8's are the smallest I will go for grouse/woodcock--it's often a mixed bag situation for them here. Run 7 1/2 more often. If I had to go non-tox, 6 steel or 7 1/2 hevi-shot.

Don't chase wild bobs. For wild pheasants, 5's in lead early, maybe 4's late season under some conditions. I'll run 6's on preserve birds. For steel in 12 gauge, 3's it is early and late. Can't find 20 gauge in 3 so I use 2's. Remington's Nitro steel, work pretty well despite the smaller pellet count. Used some Hevi-shot 6's last year and I think with a bit of practice and a deeper pocketbook I'd use them more. Really crushed a few december cock birds with it--dead in the air birds at a time of year when they usually die hard. Missed some shots I should have made so suspect they pattern differently. Probably a much tighter pattern.

Devils Creek

Post by Devils Creek » Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:00 am

I tend to agree with Wagonmaster as well..

7 1/2 for quail, cause where I shoot quail there are also pheasant.

If I'm shooting pheasant only, over a point, a good stiff load of 5's is my all time favorite. I'll shoot my 12 auto for sure. I feel I get way more kills in the air, and hate wasting time looking for wounded birds. I lost one this fall when I gave him 7/8 oz of 7 1/2 from a 20. He dropped a leg & bobbled down and I never found him. I'm still ticked.

I prefer 6's for ruffed grouse around home. Better heavy cover penetration than 7 1/2, and easier retreives. I'll usually use 6's on sharptail and huns as well.

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:39 pm

7 1/2's for most everything. I throw some 6's in the vest if I know I'm going after pheasant (there are none where I live, but some in some of the areas I hunt). I think 7 1/2 shot is just about the most versatile anyway, so it's an easy decision.

I go for 8's or 9's when out shooting clays though. 8's only if I can't find 9's.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

DKRick

Post by DKRick » Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:28 pm

I use mostly 7 1/2's for grouse (sharptail) and partridge. I like to use 5's for pheasants.. Not always possbile. Then I carry some BB's for special game or the odd goose.

bondoron

Post by bondoron » Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:43 pm

I use 5's on the pheasants. If I have to use a twelve gauge on the ruffed grouse or woodcocks I will use 8 and make sure I have the IC in. I prefer my 410 on them though.

Chaingang

Post by Chaingang » Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:35 pm

Don wrote:I don't hunt a lot anymore, bad knees.
Don, Take my advice get them knees replaced, and get back out there in them fields. A good set of artifical knees these days will last 20 years or possibly more if your not rough on them.

In fact I just got back from the hospital today, had the right one done this time . :lol:

Drahtsundbraats

Post by Drahtsundbraats » Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:05 pm

My hunting buddy had both knees replaced 4 years ago and at 76 can walk me into the ground (I'm a lot younger). He did have some pain in one knee for about 8 months but then it was gone and he's been good to go. Big key is the post-op therapy. Can be real tough but those that tough it out do very well. The new materials are holding up a lot better.

DKRick

Post by DKRick » Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:26 pm

Don wrote:I don't hunt a lot anymore, bad knees..
Move to North Dakota Don, get yourself a handicap sticker and you can use a 4-wheeler. One of my pups went to a home close by here and the dad of the guy that owns the dog does this works out good. Rides the 4-wheeler a save distances then when she goes on point he gets off and walks in.

Rick

Chaingang

Post by Chaingang » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:01 pm

Big key is the post-op therapy. Can be real tough but those that tough it out do very well.

Boy!! ain't that the truth. Therapy is rough, but pays big dividends with good results each week it goes on.

stonegripper

Post by stonegripper » Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:06 am

I use 20 ga. 95% of the time.
7 1/2 on quail and 5 shot on those wild Iowa roosters.

Sorno

Post by Sorno » Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:50 am

The smallest bird I have shot that i wanted to enjoy was a teal. I used a 12ga with 6 shot steel. Pheasants are 12ga 5 shot lead or 4 shot steel depending on where I am hunting. I always use heavy field loads in 2 3/4" shell. Never seen a need for a 3" shell for pheasants when you are hunting with a pointer.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:20 pm

I agree with Sorno. If I am eating it, and I don't shoot it unless I eat it, use bigger shot with less of them. Prefer 4's or 5's for pheasants and 6 or 7's for quail. I normally shoot a 20guage field loads and occasionally keep a 3" shell in the No. 3 position but don't think I have ever used it bird hunting. I'm pretty much a one shot type hunter and save the other shells for the next bird.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

OhioOnPoint

Post by OhioOnPoint » Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:23 pm

I pretty much stick to high-8's on about all small game birds including pheasants. I like to bring them down but not tear them up too bad.

It only takes one small grain to bring down most pheasants I have ever shot.

Ask me what I use for a goose and I'll tell ya T-shot 10 gauge.

Drahtsundbraats

Post by Drahtsundbraats » Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:40 pm

It only takes one small grain to bring down most pheasants I have ever shot.
WOW-where are those birds? Mid and late season pheasant in SD this year were running like track stars and some getting up at distance. I've rocked 'em with 5's and still watched the dog run them down. I couldn't suggest anyone use 8's unless you're taking them at 25 yards-of course you may shoot better than me.

I use 1 1/8 oz of 5's on pheasant and 1 oz 7's on all other birds. B and P sells 7's and they work well with my old double. Used to shoot 8's on Grouse and Woodcock but the cover has been staying up longer and I think the 7's break through the cover better.[/quote]

Grange

Post by Grange » Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:44 pm

7 1/2 for ruffed grouse
5 for pheasant earlier in the season
3-4 for pheasant later in the season