How often to hunt wild coveys

BSummers

How often to hunt wild coveys

Post by BSummers » Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:33 pm

I found a wild covey of bobwhites at a buddies property in central Alabama, only 8 birds. So i have two questions, How often should i work my GSP on these birds? I dont want to push them off of the property thats for sure but I would like to continue to get my dog experience on wild birds which are becoming harder and harder to find! Also this property is about 800 acres and not managed for quail at all, do you think that since there is a small covey of 8 that there are more over the property? Ive only hunted it once in an area where they had been seen before, none others have been seen. I know the best way to find out is keep hunting but would just like some insight, Thanks!

birds

Re: How often to hunt wild coveys

Post by birds » Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:28 am

My guess is you won't push them off the property - quail are homebodies. But every time you flush them you are exposing them to all the other dangers any prey animal is subject to - they will be exposing themselves. Plus its a small covey anyway. In the end I'd bet they'll simply get too wild for your dog to handle them if you push them too hard. If it was me I'd give them a good break between finds. But that means you and your dog will have to find some more :wink:

Retriever

Post by Retriever » Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:52 am

No idea but I am watching this topic with interest.

BSummers

Post by BSummers » Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:02 pm

birds wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:28 am
My guess is you won't push them off the property - quail are homebodies. But every time you flush them you are exposing them to all the other dangers any prey animal is subject to - they will be exposing themselves. Plus its a small covey anyway. In the end I'd bet they'll simply get too wild for your dog to handle them if you push them too hard. If it was me I'd give them a good break between finds. But that means you and your dog will have to find some more :wink:
Thats what i was thinking! I really only will be able to go after them once every two or three weeks, just really dont want to put them in any danger or push them since they are getting harder and harder to find in states where they used to be abundant!

bnew17

Post by bnew17 » Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:25 pm

You’re not going to put them in as much danger than a coyote, fox, bobcat, hawk, owl, etc. They will be fine. I have jumped up coveys at my place in at least 6 different spots in the last 6 months or so. When my GWP gets ready we are going after them.

*sorry. i did not realize there was a time limit to reply to a post.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:10 pm

There isn't an absolute time limit. Always start by reading the first post/question. If it is 6 months ago, it is highly unlikely that OP is still looking for answers and may not even be here anymore as is the case in this thread. Not a big deal . Welcome to the forum. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:44 pm

I have 4 coveys near my home. I Work each once a week at least. I jus pop blanks over them. I give them plenty of time to regroup before sun down. They are about 1/2 mile to a mile away so my Brittany gets some road time before she finds them. We are blessed and she loves it. These are Valley Quail and will run a lot till shot over a few times. Then they hold very tight.