W TX/SE NM Quail

RatDog

W TX/SE NM Quail

Post by RatDog » Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:49 am

Looks like I am headed to the Permian for work. Would love to try and squeeze in a couple of days chasing quail in TX or NM in the Midland/Odessa/Carlsbad area. I have zero experience with these birds and do not know the area well. If anyone is feeling generous I’ll take any advice or guidance you’re willing to offer. I don’t know if I’ll be able to bring my dog or not but am totally down to just try and walk them up if that’s feasible. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Makintrax73

Re: W TX/SE NM Quail

Post by Makintrax73 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:40 am

I did Black Gap, which is a ways South of Mid/Od in 2019. I was forced to hunt TX because I couldn't get down there until after NM season closed. Hunted a couple days with a reasonably good dog and never saw a single bird. Supposed to be some decent hunting there so IDK. There is a box you're supposed to put wings in at the check station, and I didn't see too many in there. It is certainly pretty country to hunt and camp in, but perhaps E. NM would be better hunting, and certainly the public access in TX sucks compared to NM. I was limited on where I could access due to my vehicle, so maybe I wasn't hitting the right areas. The cholla cactus was brutal. Still it was a darn cool experience. If you like to camp it might be worth a try even if the birds don't cooperate.

RatDog

Post by RatDog » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:37 am

Makintrax73 wrote:I did Black Gap, which is a ways South of Mid/Od in 2019. I was forced to hunt TX because I couldn't get down there until after NM season closed. Hunted a couple days with a reasonably good dog and never saw a single bird. Supposed to be some decent hunting there so IDK. There is a box you're supposed to put wings in at the check station, and I didn't see too many in there. It is certainly pretty country to hunt and camp in, but perhaps E. NM would be better hunting, and certainly the public access in TX sucks compared to NM. I was limited on where I could access due to my vehicle, so maybe I wasn't hitting the right areas. The cholla cactus was brutal. Still it was a darn cool experience. If you like to camp it might be worth a try even if the birds don't cooperate.
I have always heard that there was hardly any public ground in TX so makes sense. Seems like all forms of hunting have turned into a business down there but I don’t really know what I’m talking about, just what I hear through the grapevine.

Leaning towards NM. This article makes it sound pretty sweet!

http://magazine.wildlife.state.nm.us/qu ... ew-mexico/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Idylwyld

Post by Idylwyld » Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:10 pm

SE NM has decent numbers this year. Its spotty. Some areas are better than others.

Plenty of public land in NM.
I suggest you get a NM atlas (available at walmart for 25 bucks) and look for public land either state or BLM with stock tanks and hunt around them. Generally, theres a covey around a water source.

Probably easiest access is off the west edge of the Caprock. West and south of Maljamar on BLM around water you will do all right. Most of thats BLM. State trust land up on top of the cap can be a little quirky to access in some spots. Some ranchers will give you grief over it. They are good folks, just protective for some very good reasons. They have seen it all, cows shot, water tanks destroyed, fences cut, gates left open,trash left, you name it.
My sympathies lie with them.

If you look you will find some birds in Lea, Eddy and Chaves counties. Key on water. Ive found covies several miles from water, but playing the odds a foot hunter is better off not straying too far from water.
The way most 'bird hunters" hunt here is to cruise back roads and jump covies. See one, and bail out and go after them. I dont hunt that way. but a LOT do.
Season opens 15 Nov and runs til 15 Feb. Deer hunters will be running acting nuts til Sunday after Turkey day so do be careful.