Skittish Birds When Windy

RatDog

Skittish Birds When Windy

Post by RatDog » Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:07 pm

It was really windy today and the birds seemed like they all got up way farther out. Is that a thing? Anything you can do about it? I was thinking that maybe since they can’t hear anything they are more on the lookout. I tried working the lee side of hills/draws to no avail

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dakotazeb

Re: Skittish Birds When Windy

Post by Dakotazeb » Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:00 pm

That's a very common occurrence. I've seen that throughout my 60+ years of pheasant hunting. Not sure why and have never figured out anything that can be done about it other than trying to work into the wind. It's just one of those things of nature I guess.
Janee's August Breeze - Bree
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5

NSTRA Champion Godfather's Dakota Elle 2008-2016
https://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree ... erations=5

averageguy

Post by averageguy » Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:29 pm

Very Common. Hunting cover out of the wind is the best you can do, but high wind days are tough especially with a pointing dog. I delayed my trip to SD this week because the wind was blowing 20-40 MPH and I have the option of going next week instead...

When the wind is howling go duck hunting, they will be very predictably be working into sheltered coves and high banks out of the wind. Much easier to jump shoot during the high wind as well.

RatDog

Post by RatDog » Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:31 pm

averageguy wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:29 pm
Very Common. Hunting cover out of the wind is the best you can do, but high wind days are tough especially with a pointing dog. I delayed my trip to SD this week because the wind was blowing 20-40 MPH and I have the option of going next week instead...

When the wind is howling go duck hunting, they will be very predictably be working into sheltered coves and high banks out of the wind. Much easier to jump shoot during the high wind as well.
I'll keep that in mind. Last year was my first year doing the waterfowl thing in any kind of meaningful way. My wife wasn't too stoked on the thousands of dollars of decoys that were all of the sudden pouring out of the shed :lol: but she got over it. Opens Oct. 3. Let me know if you have a way to cook honkers that is in any way edible because I sure couldn't figure it out.

NEhomer

Post by NEhomer » Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:49 am

RatDog wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:31 pm
averageguy wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:29 pm

I'll keep that in mind. Last year was my first year doing the waterfowl thing in any kind of meaningful way. My wife wasn't too stoked on the thousands of dollars of decoys that were all of the sudden pouring out of the shed :lol: but she got over it. Opens Oct. 3. Let me know if you have a way to cook honkers that is in any way edible because I sure couldn't figure it out.
Get a dehydrator and make jerky. It's a terrific meat for that....and not much else.

Wyobio

Post by Wyobio » Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:36 am

[/quote]

[/quote]

One technique when it is windy is to use wind breaks in your favor. Birds will often sit on the lee side of a ridge to hide out of the wind. I have jumped up many sharptail and pheasant popping up on the upwind side of cover....of course the dogs need to be kept close and they will not be smelling the birds, but at least you can get in some hunting!

As far as eating goose, they are darned good if you don't over cook them! I used to pluck them, and pack butter inside the skin, then roast at 400 degrees. The key is the meat near the bone should still be semi-rare. It is very reminiscent of roast beef. Cooked fully through it is like duck that is overcooked, grainy and dry.......You can also pan sear the breasts, just don't overcook them!!!

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:49 am

Quail that live in a normally windy area stick hard when the wind blows. My dog doesn't know how to hunt unless the wind is 20mph. 300 wind generators within the sight of my home.