Any intel on COVID19 impact on hunting season?

athomas16

Post by athomas16 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:11 pm

I heard today that the reservation land in SD may be closed for business this fall. Are there other areas that may not accept out of state hunters?

TIA

RatDog

Re: Any intel on COVID19 impact on hunting season?

Post by RatDog » Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:36 pm

I heard no one will be allowed in Montana

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:15 am

RatDog wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:36 pm
I heard no one will be allowed in Montana Image

No one from the south half of Mn. will be allowed to hunt Ruffed Grouse or Sharptails in the north half.......Cj

NEhomer

Post by NEhomer » Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:13 am

You know, I live in MA and do most of my bird hunting just over the border in CT. I'd better look into this.

Cripes!

RatDog

Post by RatDog » Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:51 am

NEhomer wrote:You know, I live in MA and do most of my bird hunting just over the border in CT. I'd better look into this.

Cripes!
I’ll say this in all seriousness. Turkey season last spring was a mess. Every state did something different. Some didn’t sell out of state tags, some closed state land to the public and some did nothing. I never get time off like this so I used it to do some hunting on the family farm in MD and visit some folks back east. I don’t know if that violates my civic duty or something but that’s what I did and it was fine for me.

If you can get a license online I’d do it. The states that didn’t sell tags once things got crazy still honored the ones people already had, they just wouldn’t sell more. As for the land being closed I didn’t do it myself but I know quite a few people who hunted it anyway and there was little or no actual enforcement.

My 2 cents, I’m gonna hunt. I’ll wear a mask in town and do my best to respect other folks and their wishes but I gotta live my life. Not having a job is incredibly disorienting and I’ve gotta do something meaningful with my time.

averageguy

Post by averageguy » Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:06 pm

I am going to hunt as well. 5 States planned so far.

I was unable to hunt turkeys this past Spring in KS when they stopped selling tags to NR. A handful of NR turkey hunters are a concern while literally 1000s a day stop at the rest areas along I-70. :roll:

Hoping such nonsense does not happen again this fall.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:26 am

Does this mean they should close the rest areas. It would be a long haul across Kansas if they do that.......Cj

averageguy

Post by averageguy » Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:22 am

No, I am not in favor of closing the rest areas.

My point , is how obviously ridiculous it is to prevent a handful of out of state turkey hunters from engaging in a completely isolated outdoor sport, while 1000s of people a day stop and use the fuel and rest room facilities in the IS highway medians running through the entire length of the State.

birds

Post by birds » Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:22 am

RatDog wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:36 pm
I heard no one will be allowed in Montana Image
I heard that too... :wink:

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:36 am

I don't know how the South Dakota Reservations will handle hunting. Some have hi ways block and will not allow entrance. Some you can drive through with no stopping. Sharptail will be opening in a month....Cj

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:12 pm

averageguy wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:22 am

My point (which I thought was clear enough but apparently not for one), is how obviously ridiculous it is to prevent a handful of out of state turkey hunters from engaging in a completely isolated outdoor sport, while 1000s of people a day stop and use the fuel and rest room facilities in the IS highway medians running through the entire length of the State.
Exactly. We are having similar problems up here. I can't image anything that allows for more social distancing than hunting.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:53 pm

it is not about hunting On the reservations. It is because they already have health issues and do not want Covid 19. So they don't want people from Other areas bringing it. They just had 250,000 bikers running around there in Sturgis. I don't know if they will allow hunting. Some places you need to have a Native guide......Cj

RatDog

Post by RatDog » Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:08 pm

I had a week booked for the grouse opener on the Cheyenne River res in SD and we ended up bailing: 1. Because my grandfather didn’t want to fly which is totally understandable 2. Because the outfitter couldn’t get a straight answer from the tribe what they are going to do. I don’t believe they’ve said anything yet about letting people on or not and they normally open the res in about a month. I’ll be sticking to MT & ND. Kind of hard to believe that Montana opens in a couple weeks as I sit here roasting.

NEhomer

Post by NEhomer » Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:04 am

RatDog wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:51 am
NEhomer wrote:You know, I live in MA and do most of my bird hunting just over the border in CT. I'd better look into this.

Cripes!
I’ll say this in all seriousness. Turkey season last spring was a mess. Every state did something different. Some didn’t sell out of state tags, some closed state land to the public and some did nothing. I never get time off like this so I used it to do some hunting on the family farm in MD and visit some folks back east. I don’t know if that violates my civic duty or something but that’s what I did and it was fine for me.

If you can get a license online I’d do it. The states that didn’t sell tags once things got crazy still honored the ones people already had, they just wouldn’t sell more. As for the land being closed I didn’t do it myself but I know quite a few people who hunted it anyway and there was little or no actual enforcement.

My 2 cents, I’m gonna hunt. I’ll wear a mask in town and do my best to respect other folks and their wishes but I gotta live my life. Not having a job is incredibly disorienting and I’ve gotta do something meaningful with my time.

I already have my license....that's always done the first week of the year. I haven't heard about restrictions so fingers crossed. Good luck to you.
averageguy wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:22 am

My point is how obviously ridiculous it is to prevent a handful of out of state turkey hunters from engaging in a completely isolated outdoor sport, while 1000s of people a day stop and use the fuel and rest room facilities in the IS highway medians running through the entire length of the State.
Yes, there are many people already in State using gas stations and rest areas and they live there; they're not a newly introduced group of people. There's simply nothing that can be done about that. The point of people not traveling into the State is to reduce a new form of risk where it can be reduced. It's not about actually being out on a 1000 acre lease where yes, hunting is perfectly safe.

averageguy

Post by averageguy » Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:39 am

cjhills wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:26 am
Does this mean they should close the rest areas. It would be a long haul across Kansas if they do that.......Cj
Interstate 70 runs the entire east west length of Kansas and 1000s of people from out of state use it, stop and buy gas, food, use the restroom facilities. Interstate 35 travels the entire state from north to south with the same effect from out of state travelers.

It is a peeing in the ocean restriction on the part of Government to stop a handful of out of state turkey hunters from coming into the State back in April/May.

So 1000s of people from out of state travelled and stopped all along those highways daily while a handful of Turkey hunters were kept out.

If that policy makes sense to you, there is no reason for us to discuss it further.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:10 am

The scientific facts show there is very little chance of community transmission from people traveling through the state on a freeway even stopping for fuel or rest stops. Also travel on interstate freeways is necessary.
However people coming in and spending time at motels, restaurants and bars is a totally different thing. Plus turkey hunting is far from being essential. I will buy a license, but I will not be hunting on Reservation land this fall because I think it is irresponsible.........Cj

averageguy

Post by averageguy » Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:42 am

Whether restaurants and bars remain open has nothing to do with non-resident turkey hunters.

I microwave pre-prepared home cooked meals in my motel room while I am on out of state hunting trips, it has been decades since I was in a bar.

A Friend of mine operates a motel in KS and has fortunately been able to stay open the whole time due to a decent portion of his business being construction workers. Not one incident of Covid yet. Thank goodness more ignorant Government policy has not put him out of business.

NEhomer

Post by NEhomer » Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:58 am

averageguy wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:39 am
cjhills wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:26 am
Interstate 70 runs the entire east west length of Kansas and 1000s of people from out of state use it, stop and buy gas, food, use the restroom facilities. Interstate 35 travels the entire state from north to south with the same effect from out of state travelers.

It is a peeing in the ocean restriction on the part of Government to stop a handful of out of state turkey hunters from coming into the State back in April/May.

So 1000s of people from out of state travelled and stopped all along those highways daily while a handful of Turkey hunters were kept out.

If that policy makes sense to you, there is no reason for us to discuss it further.
What are the actual numbers for spring turkey visitors? I'm counting on the fact that CT isn't some mecca for bird hunting so there won't be any restrictions. Fingers crossed.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:15 am

NEhomer:

With nearly 180,000 people dead in USA, 5,000,000 cases and Turkey hunting right in the middle of a Kansas City spike in cases does it make any sense for Kansas to allow out of state spring Turkey hunters. Why take a chance on even one case.
Hunting itself is probably one of the safest things you can do. It is also one of the most nonessential things you can do.
While one hunter spends his nonhunting time in his motel eating frozen sandwiches, most don't they go to bars, restaurants if they are open and mingle with the local people. Many have relatives they stay with.
Imo calling the rules stupid is irresponsible. We need to respect our neighbors as they try to protect their residents. Hopefully it will be only one season.
This not political it just make sense to try to stop the spread......Cj

RatDog

Post by RatDog » Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:44 am

One of the many unfortunate things about this pandemic is the rifts it has caused between people with regards to the appropriate response. I think anyone who tells you they know exactly what’s going on or exactly what should be done about it is probably full of the beans. Social distance, wear a mask in public and try to wash your hands as often as possible. So long as you are doing that I say do what you feel. If I had been hanging around my house for the last 8 mo. I’d have lost my mind

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:04 am

RatDog wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:44 am
One of the many unfortunate things about this pandemic is the rifts it has caused between people with regards to the appropriate response. I think anyone who tells you they know exactly what’s going on or exactly what should be done about it is probably full of the beans. Social distance, wear a mask in public and try to wash your hands as often as possible. So long as you are doing that I say do what you feel. If I had been hanging around my house for the last 8 mo. I’d have lost my mind

Ratdog

I absolutely agree with you on that.
I think respecting the States and Reservations laws and rules is important. They have a reason for what they do
Whether I shoot a turkey or any other critter or not has very little value in the world scheme of things.
Whether I do my part to stop the spread might have.
How is the dog coming. Has it been out here to the trainer.....Cj

RatDog

Post by RatDog » Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:20 am

Fair enough bud. Sounds like you’re thinking about vulnerable folks in the community which I understand and respect.

Dog is doing pretty well I think, thanks for asking. Steve’s has had him since June 1. He said he’s about 70% there but being held back by a lack of maturity. He’s such a young dog I’m sure that’s to be expected. Poor Steve is getting worked right now I’m pretty sure. Awfully tough year for outfitters. I’ve got a weekend set up to meet him in Rosebud, SD at his buddy’s lodge because he doesn’t know if we’ll be able to get on the res to his place. Can’t tell you how much I’m looking forward to that so fingers crossed

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:24 pm

I am the vulnerable. 82 yo
I live just down the road from where your dog is.
I like to hunt Rosebud. I doubt I will do that this year even if they let us. First time not going to Montana for 20 years.
It has been hot and humid this summer. tough dog training weather.
I'm sure the dog will do great.......Cj

RatDog

Post by RatDog » Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:05 am

cjhills wrote:I am the vulnerable. 82 yo
I live just down the road from where your dog is.
I like to hunt Rosebud. I doubt I will do that this year even if they let us. First time not going to Montana for 20 years.
It has been hot and humid this summer. tough dog training weather.
I'm sure the dog will do great.......Cj
That sucks. I’m sorry to hear that. My mom’s father spends his entire life preparing for and thinking about his annual pilgrimage to the Cascapedia to fish for Atlantic Salmon and he didn’t get to go this year. To make matters worse the group that got the beat or lease or whatever it’s called crushed it and someone kept sending him pictures of fish.

Thanks for the kind words about my hound. I’m just looking forward to seeing him. Can’t wait to see what he looks like now. At that age a lot changes in 3 mo

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:46 am

Thanks,
Not really a big deal.
Nobody lasts forever. I still have good health and run the dogs every day. Just can't do the miles it takes to follow the dogs in big country.
I have been extremely fortunate. I bought my first really good when I was close to sixty. I have had a very successful breeding kennel based on that dog and my male Nick for over 25 years. Five generations. I have hunted all the mid west and western states for a lot of years.......Cj