Sage Grouse Hunting

Meskousing

Sage Grouse Hunting

Post by Meskousing » Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:41 am

A buddy and I are going to MT for a September sage grouse hunt. We haven't set a specific locale, as we're waiting on some bird reports before we pick a town.

How do I hunt sage grouse? I have an American Water Spaniel and my buddy has a Gordon Setter. I know the breeds will hunt differently, but I can't help that my buddy made a poor choice on a bird dog :) Do I focus on water sources? I presume that I want to stay away from trees. Do I use hills to "surprise" birds? Do I zig-zag across hill crests? Focus on north slopes, south slopes, or just walk aimlessly? What habitat components should I focus on?

Any shot and choke suggestions would be appreciated. I presume I want to use a full choke with around #6's.

Thanks

mask

Re: Sage Grouse Hunting

Post by mask » Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:49 am

We don't kill sage chickens because we can't stand the flavor. We do hunt with a couple that make sausage with them and think it's good but I can't eat that either.They don't take much killing so we use 7 shot with improved cylinder chokes. We hunt pointers so birds that are not pointed don't get shot. Cactus is an issue where they live so if you are only taking two dogs you might want to hunt them one at a time.If you would like info on where we hunt send me a pm. It will be a great adventure.

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:45 pm

Sage grouse generally live in broken sage/grass environments. Look around water sources, small streams and springs. Another area to search is small hay fields with a good sage/brush edge. They usually hold well until they have been pressured a bunch, so your flushing dog should be fine. The advantage of a pointer is they can cover more ground which is an advantage in the big country sage grouse live in.

reba

Post by reba » Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:37 am

It is all about habitat. Look for healthy knee high sage brush with plenty of grasses between. It doesn't take much elevation to change the conditions. Find water tanks and look for tracks. Hunt your dogs into the wind. Older birds will flush wild. Go to where they flushed. There may still be some still on the ground.

If you don't know how to cook, you will not like eating them. DON"T OVER COOK! Lots of garlic, peppers and onions. Then add the small pieces of breasts. Add alfredo sauce. Served over egg noodles el dente. Robust red wine.

DO NOT OVER COOK
DO NOT OVER COOK
DO NOT OVER COOK

mask

Post by mask » Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:34 pm

If you haven't eaten them I would recommend you kill one and try it. They are close to where we live and make good puppy trainers so that is another good reason not to kill them. It doesn't matter how good a cook you are if the end result doesn't suit your pallet. If you like liver you would probably like sage chickens.

Wyobio

Post by Wyobio » Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:00 am

As mentioned, look for water sources, especially wet meadows in large expanses of sage brush. Dogs that cover lots of ground are obviously helpful when you are trying to find the birds in the first place.

As far as table fare, young birds are delicious. As Reba mentioned, cook the breasts as you would a good cut of wild venison or elk, that is: RARE!!!!. It is mild and tender, we have it stir fried with veggies and in curry dishes, in tacos. Always cooked at the last minute and seared but not cooked until well done.

Big Bombers are another story. You can make a nice meal out them cooked long and slow with wine, but I prefer to let them fly off. You can distinguish the young birds from the big adults pretty easily.

birds

Post by birds » Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:11 am

Please just don't take too many! For a number of reasons they really aren't doing all that well these days and shooting a couple should be enough for one to get a taste of the country and more importantly the birds themselves. You may not like them. I haven't shot one for years for the population/habitat issues touched on above, but I think they taste delicious. I hope you have a good trip!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:46 pm

Don't forget to look at the "Wild game recipes" section. Some good stuff there.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett