Woodcock

grant
GDF Junkie

Woodcock

Post by grant » Tue Sep 28, 2004 11:20 am

A couple of years back, I was turkey hunting in N.GA on a friends land. I was in one place for a while trying to get some gobblers to cross a road. After a while, I started hearing these little yelping sounds all around me. Then I saw them, some little birds that where hanging around this creekbed. I didn't think much of them at that time, but now that I have my kids (Bell/Kage), I think a lot about any birds! :D Anyway, now that I've done some research, I believe those where woodcock! I can't wait to go get'em!

Does anyone else hunt woodcock, especially in GA?

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:02 pm

Hi Grant, I've never hunted woodcock, but after a little surfing, I might...

http://www.outdoorlife.com/outdoor/hunt ... 88,00.html
http://www.ces.uga.edu/pubcd/b1183.htm

Best,

PA_Sportsman

Peenting

Post by PA_Sportsman » Tue Sep 28, 2004 2:41 pm

If the sounds were similar to large cricket sound, it was the peenting of the male woodcock in the spring. Males do this in evening and morning to attract females. The peenting is followed by the mating flight where the bird will fly straight up in the air and spiral downward making a clicking sound until it gets closer to the spot where it took off. Quite a sight! I have woodcock all over my property this past spring and beleive they be here this fall on the southward migration.

sudiegirl

Post by sudiegirl » Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:28 pm

con and judge pointed one last spring... that was in VA at one of my favorite places to go here. when eric mentioned it to the local hunters,they were beyond excited.... apparently the sightings are few and far between.

raven

Post by raven » Wed Sep 29, 2004 9:18 am

I don't go looking for them but if we happen to flush one when were Grouse hunting we will take em'.
My dog seems to be able to sent them the best I was told they really have a strong sent and that dos sometimes don't like to retrive them,my pup did last year though .

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Wed Sep 29, 2004 10:05 am

THey used to migrate thru the woods next to my old house. Beautiful and unusual birds, the Timberdoodle. My dogs never paid much attention to them, I had one dog that would point them, the rest seemed to just run by them. I guess they did not think we were hunting them, and we really were`nt. I would see them sitting there when the dogs ran by. They are not good for retrieving tho, taste bad.
brenda

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Sep 29, 2004 2:19 pm

I have never heard that taste had anything to do with the retrieve but rather that their feathers are quite loose and the dog gets a mouth full of feathers. I know that is what happened anytime we have shot them. The dogs have always pointed them and normally retrieve them also but always end up with lots of feathers.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Wed Sep 29, 2004 2:40 pm

ezzy333 wrote:I have never heard that taste had anything to do with the retrieve but rather that their feathers are quite loose and the dog gets a mouth full of feathers. I know that is what happened anytime we have shot them. The dogs have always pointed them and normally retrieve them also but always end up with lots of feathers.
When I was growing up, we shot lots of quail and ran into the occasional 'doodle. Not one of our dogs would retrieve a woodcock. They would pick them up and spit them out like they were burning hot. My grandfather laughed about it and said that doodle birds must taste bad..

blitzkrieg

Taste!

Post by blitzkrieg » Wed Nov 03, 2004 10:27 am

I think taste has a bit to do with the retrieve or lack of. When ever I have put one in my mouth I wanted to spit it out too!!!! Luck to ya, Aaron

QCBirddogs

Post by QCBirddogs » Wed Nov 03, 2004 12:19 pm

They are fun to hunt Grant!

But hitting them seperates the men from the boys! They are fast and have a heck of an eratic flight pattern! THey hold real tight and long too, great training birds.

They are "Mud" birds, their plumage has a bit more oil too. THis adds to the lack of want for retrieve.

As far as taste........someone told me.......if you take a Dove breast and soak it in the bottom of a PORT-A-JON for a week, wrap a piece of bacon around it and grill.........you should have a tatse similar to Woodcock!.......add another week to the marinade and you have prarie chicken...... :roll:

Phil
REO

Duane M

Post by Duane M » Wed Nov 03, 2004 12:25 pm

Phil best taste description I can give for Woodcock is this. Take a box of fishing worms, dig your hand in and eat them. I love hunting them and they do make for a small challenge, not as much as brush quail IMO, but man they are bad eating. Just imagine the french think woodcock trail is a delicacy :pukeright:

BTW while Charlie and his bro were at the kennel last night we had one fly right behind us. Really suprised them boys to say the least.

Brian W

Post by Brian W » Mon Nov 08, 2004 1:34 am

I just returned from a week in Iowa, and one day I spent trying to find my old woodcock haunt. I finally found the place, after figuring out they paved part of the road where I was looking for a dirt one. Anywho, got there late, and in the nine years that've passed since my last visit, the vegetation has overgrown quite a bit. Didn't see any birds, but saw plenty signs of their feeding. That'll have to keep me stoked until I get a chance to return, hopefully next year.

I think they taste just fine, if you know how to cook 'em. For that matter people told me snow geese weren't worth eating either, and that's not the case.

ward myers

woodcocks

Post by ward myers » Mon Nov 08, 2004 9:19 pm

grant we can get some woodcocks in triple N management area
the invite is still good
i have shot my 3 birds in about 30 min
its open shooting :lol:

scarecrow

Post by scarecrow » Thu Dec 30, 2004 4:40 pm

I'm with you Brian,
Though I haven't eaten one in a while I do remember they were good.
Lot's of people don't like goose but as you said it's all in knowing how to cook it. Fileted & grilled goose breast marinated with red wine is the best!

Brian W

Post by Brian W » Fri Dec 31, 2004 1:29 am

Most people like goose better if it's been marinaded. I have a good recipe I use to prepare them for fajitas. It's my most requested dish among returning houseguests. Even people that have very little experience eating game just love it. (Like my mother-in-law, for one)