Hunting with a Camera

averageguy

Hunting with a Camera

Post by averageguy » Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:34 am

C
Last edited by averageguy on Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

averageguy

Re: Hunting with a Camera

Post by averageguy » Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:35 am

[
Last edited by averageguy on Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cicada

Post by Cicada » Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:38 am

Great photo that is one strong looking dog.

Grant

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:06 am

Nice intensity! I tried for a long time to find a camera to carry hunting and think I finally found it. It's a Canon point and shoot that take's nice photo's and carry's in a pouch on my belt.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:24 am

The problem with pointing dog photos is that we never capture what it is that makes every point special and exciting to see. The photos always lose something and turn out to be another photo of a dog standing on three legs looking off into space. Kind of the when you seen one you've seen them all
thing.
I have taken many photos of heart stopping dogs on point. They all lose something. Strangely I have seen paintings that look great.
I have discussed this with many trainers and most have told me that they don't like sending still photos of dogs on point to clients. They prefer videos because show the dog better......Cj

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:01 pm

Beautiful pics! Thanks.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:39 am

cjhills wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:24 am
The problem with pointing dog photos is that we never capture what it is that makes every point special and exciting to see. The photos always lose something and turn out to be another photo of a dog standing on three legs looking off into space. Kind of the when you seen one you've seen them all
thing.
I have taken many photos of heart stopping dogs on point. They all lose something. Strangely I have seen paintings that look great.
I have discussed this with many trainers and most have told me that they don't like sending still photos of dogs on point to clients. They prefer videos because show the dog better......Cj
Get closer and focus on the eyes!

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:52 pm

Don;
I get that but I always lose something.
I will say your photos are about the best I see on here. m Thanks......Cj

NEhomer

Post by NEhomer » Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:15 am

cjhills wrote:
thing.
The sudden stop is the fun part!

averageguy

Post by averageguy » Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:38 am

Thanks for Looking Folks.

DonF,

What model Canon are you using?

I have a Nikon A900 I carry while hunting and it is a pretty decent camera. These photos were from a new Nikon D3500 with a 70-300mm lens I bought half price over Christmas. Too big to carry while also carrying a gun but greater capabilities for action shots and longer distances. I need to choose a good photo editor and up my game there. Some photo editing would make these photos pop.

weimdogman

Post by weimdogman » Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:12 pm

cjhills wrote:
thing.
I understand what you mean about a picture "missing" something , but you have to admit needing video capture of a dog solid on point is a little ironic. Think action video of a statue!

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:45 pm

I did not mean a video of a standing dog unless that is part of the action video.
As somebody said a big part of the point is the stop.
Don F s dog are pretty photogenic......Cj

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:38 pm

averageguy wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:38 am
Thanks for Looking Folks.

DonF,

What model Canon are you using?

I have a Nikon A900 I carry while hunting and it is a pretty decent camera. These photos were from a new Nikon D3500 with a 70-300mm lens I bought half price over Christmas. Too big to carry while also carrying a gun but greater capabilities for action shots and longer distances. I need to choose a good photo editor and up my game there. Some photo editing would make these photos pop.
It's a Canon SX730HS. Spent more than I wanted on a point and shoot but now figure it was worth it. I normally am a Nikon fan but have used several different film camera's. I stick to digital Nikons as I have an idea how to work them. I do think most the maker's make better cameras than people like myself can use but there's a learning curve, I avoid that. Draw back with pit and shoot is you view from the screen on the back. Sun coming from behind you blots out the screen.

Tenderfoot

Post by Tenderfoot » Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:20 pm

Looks awesome to me! Great looking dog

nevermind

Post by nevermind » Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:53 pm

Thanks for sharing awesome photo's Averageguy , DonF and Irishwhistler! My cellphone camera about the only camera I can manage.

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:14 am

I admittedly am not a camera buff - although I was back in the day when I owned a Minolta 700X (35mm) with a series of lenses. I just don't have the interest anymore. That said, I LOVE most the pics on this forum. I am much easier to please and appreciate them just the way they are.
I have yet to see a stylish intense dog on point I didn't enjoy. Thanks y'all!

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:29 am

nevermind wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:53 pm
Thanks for sharing awesome photo's Averageguy , DonF and Irishwhistler! My cellphone camera about the only camera I can manage.
Boy some of those cell phone's really take good photo's. Only draw back seem's to be they don't blow up well. I don't understand that as some f them have more than enough pixel's.