S.D. GF&P grounds near me.

weimdogman

S.D. GF&P grounds near me.

Post by weimdogman » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:52 pm

I live in Brookings,S.Dak. and there are many public hunting areas around me.
I almost had them to myself since the season opened. Boy has that changed.
I dont know why but all of a sudden every piece has hunters in them. Today I watched 2 men and a kid go in a area that a lone hunter with a draght just came out of. I talked on the phone to a hunting buddy and watched them. Surprise no action. I drove around a 4 mile area and came back to another group going in.
I went and checked out another that had no one in it. You cant get to it because of flooded roads. I was on a fact finding mission,where corn is being harvested by public land, so I went on to lunch.
Came back by the "popular one" and there was another group in the main area and another in the back. Thats prob the way every one gets pounded.

weimdogman

Re: S.D. GF&P grounds near me.

Post by weimdogman » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:26 pm

So in my initial post I wasnt complaining I was stating how things are. I do feel bad for those who only get a few chances to hunt and have the misfortune of following multiple parties. They are bound to be disgusted and feel there simply are no birds.

Last couple of days have been colder with snow so I had a nice gf&p to myself. Actually I met a duckhunter on sat and seeing him again this morning I asked the young man if he wanted a pheasant hunt with pointing dogs? He replied "fantastic I had a gsp which I miss dearly".

Now today I ran all 3 together as they all needed grass time( burn some energy off). We got great dog work and found 3 roosters,2 of which we bagged. Young man was great to hunt with, kept up,knew where he should go and was willing to check every last bit of cover.

I gave him the birds as we parted ways telling him clean your ducks and these pheasants- give them dang ducks away and enjoy the pheasants! He said oh I will enjoy pheasant and wildrice!

I later hunted Just Reba with my landowner friend. We knocked down 3 birds at 1 time and got a kick out of my female retrieving a dead bird and spotting a runner which she tried to get in her mouth with the other bird! She figured it out , dropped the deadbird and nailed the runner.

Last year ,the last day of my landowners season, hunting with me he went 3 for 3 and was elated to do it again to start the season off.

Featherfinder

Re: S.D. GF&P grounds near me.

Post by Featherfinder » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:46 am

Love that part about the dead bird versus the runner. Very cool!
Hope the rest of the season is chalk full of great times.
VERY nice of you to invite along that young man Sir.