My Reba solid on point

weimdogman

My Reba solid on point

Post by weimdogman » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:16 pm

This girl wont point planted birds but she is great on wild pheasants. Solid on point will move ahead when asked and a solid retriever.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tenderfoot

Re: My Reba solid on point

Post by Tenderfoot » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:50 am

Looks great! I’m jealous

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:20 am

Looking good!
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

weimdogman

Post by weimdogman » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:35 pm

This is her brother Delio.
Cover is too light,we pointed-catwalked-pointed-catwalked...this bird for about 75 yards before it busted. He stalked a nice Rooster for about 125 yards before it finally flushed.
My area of S.Dak. is still flooded so its hard to really gauge bird numbers but what I have seen is promising.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

smilinicon

Post by smilinicon » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:09 am

Have always enjoyed the Weimaraner after growing up to stories of them and owning one. Thanks for the pics.

Gunner2292

Post by Gunner2292 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:21 am

I'm in SoDak too, but out west. Our bird numbers have been pretty decent it seems. Tons of grouse too, more than I've ever seen.

weimdogman

Post by weimdogman » Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:03 pm

I plan on getting out west after some sharptails.
Crops are really coming out so maybe get a real handle on the bird #'s soon.

weimdogman

Post by weimdogman » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:33 pm

Got out tonight,drove around checking on corn harvest adjacent to the public ground.

Found a recently harvested corn field near a fair gfp. 35° and a 12mph breeze,perfect. Wind out of the north so hunted to the south end and headed to a overgrown,weed infested,former foodplot.

Dog hit the corner and went on point. A rooster came out as I approached. As I dropped the bird a hen got up and headed the other direction. The dog stayed steady until he was sayisfied I wasnt going to shoot,then went to retrieve. As so often happens he marked a little short. Circled around out and back,and around some more. I stood silent and let him work.

After prob 30 seconds he took off on a path at almost a full run. Nose down and heck bent. Up the rise,along the ridge,and out of sight about 150 yards out. I just waited with all kinds of scenarios running thru my head. Less then a minute later he reappeared with his reward! "bleep" proud of that retrieve.

Hunted on a got another point but this bird busted early. I dropped it andhe made a good mark and speedy recover. Hunted a little further and he is stalking a runner. Bird held in some thick grass along side a 7 acre pond.

Now I am thinking maybe get a water retrieve? Kicked the bird out and sure enough over the water and parallel to the shore goes the bird. At about 30 yards I squeezes off a round just as the bird changed directions. A poor hit droppeda leg and plenty of feathers. I watched in dismay as the bird staryed to come down,trying to run on the water. Got airborne long enough to do the death dive.

Now I have a bird down a 100 yards our in ice water.Walked dog back to the truck and unloaded. Picked up some rocks,put on a winter coat and headed out to let the bird wash ashore. When the bird was about 15 yards out threw a rock and yelled fetch. Dog pranced around on shore caught wind of the bird and it was on. Great little short swim with no hesitation. Got me a "bleep" fine bird dog.

weimdogman

Post by weimdogman » Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:58 pm

Co pilot fighting of sleep
20191124_175506.jpg

weimdogman

Post by weimdogman » Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:07 pm

So a little over 2 years later and me and my 3 weims are still after pheasants. Hunt dogs alone mostly but occasionally a pair and as energy needs to be burned all 3 together. Reba has become a very solid hunting dog, plows thru cover and tracks,trails runners and downed birds.GLM Gray LivesMatter :D

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:12 pm

Nice work, obviously in it for the long haul and for all the right reasons!
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
- Mark Twain-

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:00 am

That's Great :!: :D

Quailtail

Post by Quailtail » Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:37 pm

Thank you for posting. Nice dogs. Not many of them around my area.