Nevada Chukar?

connorj

Nevada Chukar?

Post by connorj » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:55 pm

Gearing up to put together a busy season this fall 2019 for the pup. Coming from Southern California, wild birds except quail are not exactly the most common on Public land and it is usually CDFW or NWR land. Not looking for anyone's spots or areas. But want to get peoples opinions the state of public land in Nevada. I see a lot of stuff with guys on Chukar out there. In CA the best hunting for wild birds on public land occurs most often North closing in towards Oregon. Is that generally the same pattern?

Garrison

Re: Nevada Chukar?

Post by Garrison » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:34 pm

I don’t know who you have been talking to but they are pulling your chain, everybody knows there are no Chukar in California and Nevada. Pretty sure you need to look up towards Idaho or was it Oregon. :wink:
B35F964D-A6E3-45A1-8A62-C5787AE2AFF1.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
- Mark Twain-

Scott Linden

Post by Scott Linden » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:48 pm

And don't forget Nevada and Oregon also have rattlesnakes, volcanoes, earthquakes and Sasquatch. Try Iowa. :D
Follow the hunter with the longest nose!
http://scottlindenoutdoors.com

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:17 am

Scott Linden wrote:And don't forget Nevada and Oregon also have rattlesnakes, volcanoes, earthquakes and Sasquatch. Try Iowa. :D
Ditto for Idaho and we are closer to the Yellowstone Hot Spot so we may erupt at anytime. :lol:

averageguy

Post by averageguy » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:49 pm

connorj wrote:Gearing up to put together a busy season this fall 2019 for the pup. Coming from Southern California, wild birds except quail are not exactly the most common on Public land and it is usually CDFW or NWR land. Not looking for anyone's spots or areas. But want to get peoples opinions the state of public land in Nevada. I see a lot of stuff with guys on Chukar out there. In CA the best hunting for wild birds on public land occurs most often North closing in towards Oregon. Is that generally the same pattern?
Well you are probably picking up on folks' general tendency to not discuss details around their bird hunting spots on public forums. There are FB groups which combined with using a PM vs public posts are likely to yield more specific information. If you want send me a PM I can point you at a couple of those groups if you like.

connorj

Post by connorj » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:21 pm

Hahaha :lol:
I sort of expected as much in response but thought I would see if I could gauge the overall like or dislike for the public lands out there. Sometimes you just might hit those far out shots, sometimes you don't but you gotta shoot to find out.

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:04 pm

connorj wrote:Hahaha :lol:
I sort of expected as much in response but thought I would see if I could gauge the overall like or dislike for the public lands out there. Sometimes you just might hit those far out shots, sometimes you don't but you gotta shoot to find out.
In all honesty, watch the previous weather for the area you are you want to hunt. Light snow accumulation and lack of cold, wet weather during nesting and early brooding season prior to the up coming hunting season, along with a good bug population in the area you are thinking of hunting are key to good chukar populations. Eastern Oregon, southeastern Washington, southern and the Hells Canyon area of Idaho and northern Nevada are definitely the heart of chukar habitat but that is a mighty big area with lots of public land.

mask

Post by mask » Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:08 pm

connorj wrote:Hahaha :lol:
PM sent