Bobs in the Brush

averageguy

Bobs in the Brush

Post by averageguy » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:03 pm

Spud and I have shifted our focus to the Bobwhites. They are a welcomed change from the running roosters, physically tiring to hunt but mentally relaxing, letting the dog range as he pleases and getting points on birds that often hold well.

Have been hunting with Friends, letting them shoot while I use my camera. The terrain we hunt locally and find birds in is comprised of brush and heavy grass around row crops.

Spud buried in cover with a covey find. The orange is his collar straps. The birds flew through the trees, shots were fired, no birds fell.

Spud pointed a covey in the heavy grass on the right of the photo.

Hunted KS this past week with some new Friends on some new ground. Spud had found a couple of coveys so far this day and one of our hunters marked 5-6 birds out of the second covey heading towards this matted down from snow waterway. Spud did some nice work nailing 4 singles in a row and the Hunters were able to grass a couple of them.

Pointing a Single.

Bringing this one in Alive.

He is so proud.

Covey Point.

Spud found a scattered feeding covey here. There was a brushy fenceline, plum thicket and brushy waterway to the left out of the photo. He had 3 birds of the covey pinned down here in the grass. They felt the pressure and flushed while I was taking photos with my phone. I dropped my phone in left shell bag on the side of vest, spun 180 and fired once at a rapidly departing bird. Hit it hard but it flew on strong and I marked it down in a plum thicket along a brushy creek bottom about 175 yards out. I headed to my mark calling Spud to come with me.

When I arrived at my Mark, I motioned to the plum thicket and said "Dead, Hunt Dead". Spud entered, tracked around, went on point, realized the bird was crippled and dove in, bird flushed and flew a few inches off the ground to more heavy cover, Spud pursued, tracked, pointed, pounced, bird flew low, Spud pursued, got it in his mouth and came my way on a run.

I enjoy the scenery as well.

Resting in the Motel so we can do it again the next morning.

Wyobio

Re: Bobs in the Brush

Post by Wyobio » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:09 am

Fantastic! You and your great looking dog are certainly getting out a lot this season. Life has a way of getting in the way and messing up priorities. Great to see a passionate hunter with a good dog in its prime!

nevermind

Post by nevermind » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:37 pm

thanks for sharing your hunts.

averageguy

Post by averageguy » Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:08 pm

Thank You Gentlemen.