Florida public land birds

Cbf89

Florida public land birds

Post by Cbf89 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:40 am

Has anyone had any success with quail on public land in Florida? While turkey hunting this year, I heard 3 separate coveys one morning at daybreak. I was so shocked I recorded it so I would have proof.

This particular WMA has a lot of open areas with very large long leaf pine trees spread 50-200 feet apart. They seem to burn every few years, and the ground is mixed brush, saw palmetto, bare ground, and sandy patches. It wasn't really my idea of ideal quail habitat but the birds were there.

I checked the public harvest records, any the quail reported was very disappointing, and a bit surprising, I suspected it would be a pretty good amount.

Flashorthair

Re: Florida public land birds

Post by Flashorthair » Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:45 pm

I have hunted 1 in particular in Northwest Florida. Where are you located?

bonasa

Post by bonasa » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:26 am

Same, I hunted a public walk in hunting area for turkeys and heard many quail in many different areas. Had the thought to bird hunt it, maybe in the future. First time hunting turkeys down there , we shot gobblers quickly but covered a lot of ground. The hogs in the darkness sound like a hippo colony around the creeks . Way different country from New England and South Carolina that we usually hunt.

Cbf89

Post by Cbf89 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:30 am

I'm actually not located in Florida, however I have spent 10 days each of the past 2 years trying to kill an Osceola on public land. 20 days in the field without a bird.

KCKLH

Post by KCKLH » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:36 am

I actually live in Fl. I hunted Babcock once. Keyword being once. Frankly I think the hogs and Osceolas are too thick and burns too few and far between on most public land for consistent quail numbers. Between the palmettos, gators, and heat its not exactly easy on the dogs either. Someone more local to the panhandle may be able to better direct you.

You wanna hunt birds in florida Id suggest focusing on turkey, dove, and duck. And even pulling permits for ducks in the STAs has been rough this season.

Max18

Post by Max18 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:13 pm

I know how you feel I’m in Birmingham and it’s the same way up here as I’ve been trying to get quail going on some property up here but it’s a slow go

KCKLH

Post by KCKLH » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:27 pm

Cbf how are you hunting them? They dont respond to calling the same way turkey up north do. Best to just find the roost and post up between it and the nearest water source.