ARIZONA BIRD HUNTING

freealfin

ARIZONA BIRD HUNTING

Post by freealfin » Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:10 pm

Did you know that, by law, you must have your dog on a leash (or in a crate) to hunt birds in Arizona?

MGIII

ARIZONA BIRD HUNTING

Post by MGIII » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:38 am

Where did you get this info?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

freealfin

Re: ARIZONA BIRD HUNTING

Post by freealfin » Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:38 pm

Arizona Gov.
Go to their web site and look up Title 11, chapter 7, article 6-11-1012. Make sure you get the last revision of the law. There are many obsoleted posting.
You will see that you're allowed to have your dog without tag or collar.
Arizona law prior to 2016 allowed for "dogs at large" while training or hunting (or herding) by a definition under "dogs not at large" That part was removed when Arizona was forced (2016 I believe) to review their dog control laws and remove the "vicious dog " prohibition.
Maricopa County (Phoenix area) still has the old version.
Fish and game suggested I sue the state.

BigTub

Post by BigTub » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:33 pm

I think that a very limited interpretation of USFS rules

freealfin

Post by freealfin » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:28 pm

I'm a little confused.....what does the USFS has to do with Arizona State's dog control laws?

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:24 pm

by freealfin » Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:03 pm

I found an exception to the City ordinance regarding leashes. Hidden, obscure and convoluted, It turns out that Hunting, Herding, Racing and K9 dogs can be without a collar or harness. Ya..I know...that's why is convoluted. Plus I found it hidden under licensing and not under dogs at large. Check you City, County and State thoroughly. You may find it too. I'm in my second round against the City.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

averageguy

Post by averageguy » Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:42 pm

You are literally fighting City Hall. Always heard you couldn't do that.

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:37 am

freealfin wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:38 pm
Arizona Gov.
Go to their web site and look up Title 11, chapter 7, article 6-11-1012. Make sure you get the last revision of the law. There are many obsoleted posting.
You will see that you're allowed to have your dog without tag or collar.
Arizona law prior to 2016 allowed for "dogs at large" while training or hunting (or herding) by a definition under "dogs not at large" That part was removed when Arizona was forced (2016 I believe) to review their dog control laws and remove the "vicious dog " prohibition.
Maricopa County (Phoenix area) still has the old version.
Fish and game suggested I sue the state.

I've copied the referenced statute and pasted it here for everyone to read. I don't see any requirement to leash a dog while hunting. In fact, it specifically states, in paragraph C. below, that a dog is not required to wear a collar/license under certain circumstances, which includes "running at large" while hunting. Since there is no stated prohibition against "running at large" for a dog that is hunting and there is a provision for not wearing a collar/license in this statute, my presumption is that there is a specific provision for hunting dogs to "run at large" somewhere else in the AZ statutes.

11-1012. Dogs not permitted at large; wearing licenses

A. Neither a female dog during her breeding or mating season nor a vicious dog shall be permitted at large.

B. In a rabies quarantine area, no dogs shall be permitted at large. Each dog shall be confined within an enclosure on the owner's property, secured so that the dog is confined entirely to the owner's property, or on a leash not to exceed six feet in length and directly under the owner's control when not on the owner's property.

C. Any dog over the age of three months running at large shall wear a collar or harness to which is attached a valid license tag. Dogs that are used for control of livestock, being used or trained for hunting or dogs, being exhibited or trained at a kennel club event or engaged in races approved by the Arizona racing commission, and while the dogs are being transported to and from such events, need not wear a collar or harness with a valid license attached provided that they are properly vaccinated, licensed and controlled.

D. No person in charge of any dog shall permit such dog in a public park or upon any public school property unless the dog is physically restrained by a leash, enclosed in a car, cage or similar enclosure or being exhibited or trained at a recognized kennel club event, public school or park sponsored event

GmanHawaii

Post by GmanHawaii » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:58 am

Just watched episode of "The Flush" no leashes on any of the dogs hunting quail in AZ
"If you can't stand behind our troops. feel free to stand in front of them"

freealfin

Post by freealfin » Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:34 pm

Guess what?
Went to court and lost. $200 fine. Surprise City Attorney Wingo, Prosecutor Weber, Judge Tinker and Judge Dominguez all agreed that the exception applies to the tag not the leash. Yes, I know, it does apply to the leash but these individuals had no problem in violating my rights to a fair trial and fund me guilty. Even the Arizona Commission on Judicial Conduct found that "Miscarriage of Justice" is OK. The wild west I guess.....

BigTub

Post by BigTub » Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:24 pm

Were you bird hunting as the title indicates? This post is really old.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:40 pm

freelin:

You started this law business in 2018- old news.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:03 pm

Sharon wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:40 pm
freelin:

You started this law business in 2018- old news.
Courts can be very slow. The update was he lost his court case. Not enough details for me to know if his case actually involved hunting with bird dogs or what the significance of it is for those wanting to hunt Arizona.