Recommendations for a Semi-automatic shotgun

strick9995

Recommendations for a Semi-automatic shotgun

Post by strick9995 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:01 pm

Looking for some input on a semi-automatic shotgun to use for duck hunting. I'd like to find one at that is inexpensive with a synthetic stock since it will likely be used near water. I've never been a duck hunter but I think i'm going to start this year. what would you all suggest for someone to start out with?

averageguy

Re: Recommendations for a Semi-automatic shotgun

Post by averageguy » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:01 pm

I have a Benelli SBE2 that I used for 10 years or so for waterfowl/turkey and like it. Bought a new Browning A5 last year for waterfowl and like it better. Both have synthetic stocks and factory camo finishes but there are less expensive guns around so these may not meet your criteria.

Dakotazeb

Post by Dakotazeb » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:50 am

If price is an issue take a look at the Stoeger 3000 or 3500. Good guns for the money and work on an inertia system similar to the Benelli.
Janee's August Breeze - Bree
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5

NSTRA Champion Godfather's Dakota Elle 2008-2016
https://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree ... erations=5

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:14 am

I tried to make a shotgun that didn't fit me well and had a recessed vent rib that didn't work for me. After years I finally sold it and bought an expensive over under that fits very nicely. Went from 6 in 25 birds to 20 in 25. Buy the shotgun that fits and gives you the picture you need looking down the barrel. PS, some folks cant shoot short light guns, such as myself, just can't do it. I swing 28" o/u in the grouse woods now.

averageguy

Post by averageguy » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:33 am

Franchi makes a Semi-auto worth a look and less expensive than the two I posted earlier.

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:29 am

Keep in mind there is fit and then there is picture. I can't shoot a recessed rib. I have to have a raised rib coming out from the receiver on pumps and autoloaders. This basically means that almost all benelli shotguns will NOT fit me. Franchi was a little better but the American guns are my ticket by and large. American shotguns are a different fit and sight picture than European guns as a general rule of thumb.

averageguy

Post by averageguy » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:54 am

Both my SBE2 and my Ultralight have raised ribs. And they both came with shim kits to make some cast and pitch adjustments to the stock. I shot both well from the first shot forward. Everyone is not the same, no doubt about that.

Dakotazeb

Post by Dakotazeb » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:56 am

strick9995 wrote:Looking for some input on a semi-automatic shotgun to use for duck hunting. I'd like to find one at that is inexpensive with a synthetic stock since it will likely be used near water. I've never been a duck hunter but I think i'm going to start this year. what would you all suggest for someone to start out with?
So what is your budget? That will help us narrow it down. I assume you are talking about a 12 ga.?? Does it have to be a 3.5"??
Janee's August Breeze - Bree
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5

NSTRA Champion Godfather's Dakota Elle 2008-2016
https://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree ... erations=5

strick9995

Post by strick9995 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:49 am

Yes, 12 gauge. Does not have to be 3.5", and i'm trying to stay under $750. Something cheap, then if i really get into it i'll eventually buy a better gun.

I'm an upland/dove hunter but i'd like to see what duck hunting is all about.

averageguy

Post by averageguy » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:09 am

https://www.gunsamerica.com/Search.htm? ... perpage=20&

Close to your price range. I would look at used higher quality guns vs a cheap quality new gun, were it me.

Gordon Guy

Post by Gordon Guy » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:07 pm

A used, well cared for, Remington 1100.
Tom

Meller

Post by Meller » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:37 pm

check out the Tri-Star auto's on youtube. :)

Timewise65

Post by Timewise65 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:56 am

In that price range, I would say be very careful. Some lower cost Auto loaders can be problematic in the vigor's associated with duck hunting. When I started waterfowl hunting, many years ago, I purchased a Remington 870 (pump). Learning to 'pump' between shots, actually made me a better shot as it slowed me down to focus on my next bird. They are durable, lower cost, and handle well. I still use this gun today as my #1 backup gun. You can drop these 870's in dirty water, shake them out and they are fine (of course you need to clean well later)! Few autoloaders can brag that way....

You live in a neighboring state and you have great waterfowl public areas throughout your state. Have fun and good luck!

P.S. I would never take my over/under duck hunting...something is just wrong about that! I would never take my pump or auto loader for Pheasant or Quail either...same reason (I do use on Dove tough)!

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:12 am

That gun's America and Guns international site are good site's to look on. I get on guns international a lot and often you click on a gun and can even find the weight of the gun!
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

strick9995

Post by strick9995 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:53 am

Timewise65 wrote:In that price range, I would say be very careful. Some lower cost Auto loaders can be problematic in the vigor's associated with duck hunting. When I started waterfowl hunting, many years ago, I purchased a Remington 870 (pump). Learning to 'pump' between shots, actually made me a better shot as it slowed me down to focus on my next bird. They are durable, lower cost, and handle well. I still use this gun today as my #1 backup gun. You can drop these 870's in dirty water, shake them out and they are fine (of course you need to clean well later)! Few autoloaders can brag that way....
Thanks, I have a couple 870's, great guns, and other shotguns. One semi auto, a Remington Md.11 16 gauge Auto Sportsman (Browning A5) being one of them (not allowed near water). I'm just looking for a decent gun with a synthetic stock because everything I own has a wood stock. Camo or OD green, preferably. I'll eventually find something, just wanted to see what the experts have to say.

I've taken my 870 that my dad bought me when i was 12 on nearly every bird hunt to this day (now 31). Nothing beats them.

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:08 pm

Just IMHO... if an 870 fits you and you want an autoloader, stick with remington or browning. Maybe look at the weatherby as a more affordable option. Maybe the winchester sx's. I loved my benelli, it is THE gun for some folks. But if you shoot an 870 well, as I do, then look at browning, winchester, weatherby, or remington.

Quailtail

Post by Quailtail » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:14 am

Benelli Legacy. No jams, comes apart to clean in seconds, 20ga is a dream to carry. Regardless of brand, (they all are pretty good), it has to fit you. Otherwise you would be better off carrying a stick.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:13 am

Used Benelli or Beretta. Probably lean Benelli. Both work very well for me, are light weight, don't take a lot of care and very fast cycle. Prefer 20 gauge for upland. But I am not a gun fancier and anything with which I can hit a bird with reasonable consistency works for me.....Cj
Last edited by cjhills on Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Urban_Redneck

Post by Urban_Redneck » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:20 am

All you need to know about autoloaders is buy one that begins with a B Benelli, Beretta, Browning. Whatever you do, don't buy a Mossberg semi.

I killed a few ducks with my nephew's Beretta A300 Outlander last weekend, it's nice gun that should make your budget if you shop carefully.

JONOV

Post by JONOV » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:25 pm

Beretta Outlander or Winchester SX4 would be my vote. Both can be had new in your price range, just saw the Beretta advertised at Cabelas for $699.

bonasa

Post by bonasa » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:58 pm

grabagun.com has remington 1100 3" 12 gauge around 480$ new, super easy to strip and clean. Save your money on the expensive guns and get a cheap case of 3" 3's and a good pair of chokes, then have at it.

strick9995

Post by strick9995 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:18 am

I bought a Beretta A300. It's pretty awesome so far.

wingseeker

Post by wingseeker » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:27 pm

if you are waterfowl hunting take a close look at the new Beretta A400 Xtreme Plus and get some Hevi X to
shoot out of it....I was very impressed with both this past weekend

ChiefO

Post by ChiefO » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:41 pm

I’ll second those that say buy what fits. I’ve got a citori grade 3 with an English stock that I love the looks and contour of but the way I shoot it is an embarrassment. I’ve got a franchi AL48 that cost a third of what the browning did and I’m lights out with it. I don’t imply that cheaper is just as good. Buy a quality shotgun. Just go to a few shops and mount a variety and pick the gun that feels right and fits right.

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:03 am

While there are unlimited choices, maybe the cheapest way to go would be to buy a synthetic stock set for one of your 870s for the immediate need. In the long run, you may want a gas gun like some of the Berettas, since they shoot soft and handle a wide variety of loads.

strick9995

Post by strick9995 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:58 am

I went with the Beretta A300 Outlander with a ture timber DRT finish. I used it for nearly everything last year. My other shotguns probably feel neglected.
thumbnail.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.