Questions about Idaho

isonychia

Questions about Idaho

Post by isonychia » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:17 am

I am probably going to cancel my Thanksgiving quail hunt due to the drought this year. Looking for somewhere that got moisture in the past year. I am thinking about Southern Idaho but have some questions. Specifically, I have never hunted partridge or sharpies before and my timing will be off for sharpies so I want to know how to avoid crossover habitat until I learn the flushing style and sound of partridge. Second, I see where there might be a rare ruffy in the south but I am guessing this is very rare. At any rate, Idaho allows conibear traps out of water. I am thinking that if I do find ruffy habitat I might also find conibear traps, is this realistic? How common is it to find kill traps where you bird hunt? Keep in mind I won’t know any of the areas. I have some questions about general locations as well, not mining for gold here as that isn’t my style, but if anyone who hunts S Idaho wouldn’t mind PMing me just so I can ask about general areas so I am not finding myself completely lost that would be appreciated. Please don’t move this over to the hunting thread, that is a ghost town this time of year.

Thanks for any help!

DonF
GDF Junkie

Re: Questions about Idaho

Post by DonF » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:36 am

I wouldn't hunt where I knew there were traps out. Not worth the risk for me.

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:50 am

DonF wrote:I wouldn't hunt where I knew there were traps out. Not worth the risk for me.
That only works if you know where the traps are. Not being a trapper myself, I don't. It seems like there should be some general guidelines though, as opposed to avoiding the whole state altogether.

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:51 am

What are you hunting? That time of year forest grouse hunting in S. Idaho tough because we may already have snow. As for traps, I've run into only two in almost 50 years while hunting and both were leghold. My experience is during the trapping haydays of the 70's and 80's most trapper didn't really start until mid December. Trapping has really dropped since those days so you'll probably be okay.

Gordon Guy

Post by Gordon Guy » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:22 am

I trap some and I don't think body grip traps are used often enough on land and mostly for Beaver, a bucket set for Badger and maybe Bobcat, to be of a concern. Bobcat season doesn't start until later in the winter months. Generally leg holds or Body grip traps will be within close range of roads as trappers would rather check traps as they drive by. They can run a longer line if checking them is easy. Also, at that time of the year the areas you find partridge (Chukar or Huns) will most likely be high on the "hills" and a good distance from any water that would hold beaver or well travelled roads.

FYI - There are no birds left in Idaho.

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:27 am

Gordon Guy wrote:I trap some and I don't think body grip traps are used often enough on land and mostly for Beaver, a bucket set for Badger and maybe Bobcat, to be of a concern. Bobcat season doesn't start until later in the winter months. Generally leg holds or Body grip traps will be within close range of roads as trappers would rather check traps as they drive by. They can run a longer line if checking them is easy. Also, at that time of the year the areas you find partridge (Chukar or Huns) will most likely be high on the "hills" and a good distance from any water that would hold beaver or well travelled roads.

FYI - There are no birds left in Idaho.
That is kind of what I was thinking with the locations being away from water.