Grouse Hunt

ourhunters

Grouse Hunt

Post by ourhunters » Mon Sep 20, 2004 3:11 pm

Went Grouse hunting in south central ND on Sunday, 30 mph winds, 90 degree heat. Not the best hunting conditions. Walked and walked and walked some more, with no avail!

Eventually saw 1 grouse, that will live another day! The dogs were pretty hot, worked 1 off and 1 on. They were glad to be out, though.

Hope our next hunt is better.

sdgord

grouse hunt

Post by sdgord » Wed Sep 22, 2004 10:29 am

Well the South Dakota season started a little better than that. We were hunting west of Pierre on large walkin tracts. For the most part Sat and Sunday were windy and hot. 40 plus winds and 85 degrees. My Gordons took the conditions quite well but you could tell which dogs did not get much conditioning before the season opened. I always carry at least a quart of water on each hunting session so I can give the dogs a drink or two. Monday and Tuesday were quite different. Monday started out 77 degrees at 8 am. At 10:30 am the temp had dropped 15 degrees with a mist then it started to really rain. Tuesday started 50 degrees and of and on rain. We saw quite a few grouse in some areas and none in others. With some very good dog work and luck in the shooting department we managed to take ten grouse in four days, that was split between three hunters and four dogs. SdGord

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Wed Sep 22, 2004 11:49 am

When we were up there we tried to get out real early on the warmer days and be done by around 9:30-10. We toted plenty of water too. We had some nice cool days then it was warming up again by the time we were leaving.
brenda

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Wed Sep 22, 2004 3:19 pm

Brenda,

How was the trip???