Nevada Chukar Hunt

Casper

Nevada Chukar Hunt

Post by Casper » Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:53 pm

My Dad and I got to share a fantastic hunt together

Waiting to go

One of the first birds of the day. One of 4 that dad brought down from one flush, he didnt know he hit this one as it died about 300 yards from the point of flush.

The Ol' Man looking for his dog

Making a retrieve (A total natural :wink: )

Fruits of our labor

A desolate place this Oasis is

Some tired puppies

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:42 am

Right on! That looks awesome! A hunt with the 'ol man is always a good time!

That is some primo horseback chukar country - let me know when you want me to load up the trailer, haul down there and watch yer big dog roll!

Maverick

Post by Maverick » Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:28 am

Great pics Casper, looks like a great day out. I also love getting out with my dad.

Mav....

Casper

Post by Casper » Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:40 am

DGFavor wrote:Right on! That looks awesome! A hunt with the 'ol man is always a good time!

That is some primo horseback chukar country - let me know when you want me to load up the trailer, haul down there and watch yer big dog roll!
That it is :!:

Hows next week sound :wink: :wink: I cannot wait for my pony to be trained well enough that i can hunt this place horse back. It is a cake walk on foot and the dogs run huge here. I just need a trakker to find them :(

We are now fiding birds in more places than originaly imagined. We ended up on the wrong ridge and had just as many if not more covey finds. The birds were very cooperative too, holding for the guns to approach. I dont think a covey ever flushed wild on us.

Doug, you are welcome in my turf anytime as long as the favor is returned :wink: :wink:

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:26 pm

We are now fiding birds in more places than originaly imagined.
I really think the snow contributes alot to that. Seems like the dogs will really pick them up good with some breeze blowing across that snow too.

Well, I've got one more night shift to get past tonight then I'm off work for this whole week. Hmmmm....wide open spaces, new scenery, birds...PM coming at ya'!

12 Volt Man

Post by 12 Volt Man » Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:28 pm

Awesome pics Casper. Looks like a great hunt.

crittercontrol

Post by crittercontrol » Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:37 pm

Finally some pics from Casper! Awesome!

NVgsp

Post by NVgsp » Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:52 pm

Casper-
Great pics man! Is that a new shorthair? I dont remember any of yours with that much liver on it, he is gorgeous.

Looks like you guys are having a blast. Are you guys still going out north of Lovelock? How is the people pressure up there?
NV
Chris

Scott

Post by Scott » Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:32 pm

Casper,

Great pictures! Looks like a great time

Casper

Post by Casper » Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:45 pm

Chris this particular spot is fairly new to me and my dad and is not far form Lovelock. The more well known places around there are getting pounded by people. That is why I opted to find a new place to hunt. The huntign has been better wiht just as many finds and you would be hard pressed to hear another gunshot in any given day. Plus the walking is a cake walk compared to most places.

I have had that littel girl for a while now you probably just dont remember her cause I was focasing my attention on my older dog.

Glad you all enjoyed the pics. Hopefully i wil be able to add more in a few days

crittercontrol

Post by crittercontrol » Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:34 pm

Casper wrote:I have had that littel girl for a while now you probably just dont remember her cause I was focasing my attention on my older dog.

Glad you all enjoyed the pics. Hopefully i wil be able to add more in a few days
You tellin me thats the same little pup from when we came out? :!:

Thats a huge &*^%$!

:wink:

Casper

Post by Casper » Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:46 pm

yep she didnt get much bigger

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:03 pm

Those pics make me immensely jealous!

crittercontrol

Post by crittercontrol » Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:06 am

You gonna help guide me for Snowcock next year? :wink:

Its on my list of things to do...

COGSP

Post by COGSP » Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:57 pm

Hi Casper,

Looks like you and your dad had a great hunt. I'm going to have to try chukars some day. That's a good looking little girl :wink: Have you found her steering yet? I keep popping in to see if you posted anything on her. Her sister has really done well for me this year. She really tore up the quail.

Later Terry

Casper

Post by Casper » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:44 pm

POINT :!: wascowy wabbit

2 tired dogs

Yes Terry I have been having allot of fun wiht her. SHe is now handling more like a Cadillac and is keeping an eye on me. I lost some of her run but that may come back later. She has started responding to the beep of the e-collar better than the stimulation which has been a real nice. BUt let me tell you this natural retrieve is somethign to be talked about. As good as any retriever out there thats for sure. I cannot wait to get her to some trials. She is also showing some natural backing tendancies but have only had one real opportunity.

COGSP

Post by COGSP » Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:01 pm

Casper, Glad to hear that she's doing well for you. The run will more than likely come back. It's good to hear that she has a natural retreive and back, that's some of the things I'm breeding for. Both parents are strong retreivers on land and in water. As far as the back goes her sir was a natural backer, but her mom was a little weak in that area, but has come around with some training. That's one of the reasons I used this sir to instill some more natural back. Good luck in the trials and keep me posted how she does.

Here's a pic of her sister pointing a covey of quail in the early part of the season.

Terry

Casper

Post by Casper » Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:12 am

Making the climb back up to regroup and make a new plan. Only one bird pointed and missed and 3 miles of climping to show for it

Of all the things I enjoy about bird hunting the one thing I am enjoying most is seeing the rewards of training paying off. Being able to walk over a hill to find your dog standing birds makes me weak in the knees and my heart race.

Of 8 finds and over a dozen shots fired this is all I have to show for it. I barely managed this one. Image

Sunday was much better. After 5 hours of walking I managed to kill a limit from one covey and do it in less than 20 min. Ofcourse it had to be at teh very end of our hunt. Up till this point I had only seen 2 birds.

The poor pups are plum tuckered out. The 31st is our last day. One more day for one last hoorah than the dogs will be looking foward to some time to let their feet heel. Than we are going to have to get back at training to correct what we gave up on to do some bird hunting. We all have our priorities :wink:

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:51 am

Looks like you had a good day! Right on!

I'm gonna give it a try on Tues. and Wed. then call it a hunting season. Might actually clean my gun after the season closes...too superstitious to clean it during the season. Wierd huh? Weirder yet, I usually don't add shells to my vest before a hunt unless there are less shells than a limit in my pocket - then I"ll dump in a box. I swear, if I dump in shells sooner, I don't see anything. The chukar gods are a finicky bunch...best not to mess with them. :roll: :?:

Took a pic of this dude the other day:

TAK

Post by TAK » Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:29 pm

Casper the pictures Rock!

Goshawk

Post by Goshawk » Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:03 pm

Great photo essay Casper... 8)

Casper

Post by Casper » Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:30 pm

Thanks to all for the compliments. We finished out our season better than we had started. Unfortunatly it had to come to an end. With every end there is a new begining. We are gettign ready to Rock-N-Roll. :wink: :wink:

PARTY ON 8) 8)