Puppy eating birds

Duckdog124

Puppy eating birds

Post by Duckdog124 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:29 pm

Hello all, longtime reader.. First time post! I have a 14 week old Labrador retriever who when I throw a bumper retrieves it flawlessly. But when I try to throw him a dove he runs up to it picks it up as he would with the bumper and just looks at me chewing/eating the bird! So I have to walk over to him and pry it out of his mouth. What should I do to get him to bring it back to me without him chomping on it ruining the bird? My goal with him is to become My new duck hunting partner, but if he continues this route it may not happen :| it's happened twice so far. Please help! Thanks

Cicada

Re: Puppy eating birds

Post by Cicada » Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:38 am

14 weeks is a bit young to be worrying about chewing birds they chew everything at that age. The best way to get something out of a pups mouth is to grab it by the flank (that thin piece of skin in front of their hip) pinch hard and say release in a firm voice not a panic scream. Be quick he may try to nip you and those teeth are sharp at that age :wink:

Enjoy the ride and welcome to the site

Grant

Timewise65

Post by Timewise65 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:52 am

Many years ago I purchased my first Field Bred, Golden Retriever. I drove over 12 hours to pick this boy up. He had a great linage and his parents were top field dogs. After we got home I started working with him following Bill Hillman's Puppy Retrieving DVD, supplemented with an obedience class we took together. At around 6 months I took him on his first dove hunt. I had already conditioned him to guns. It was a perfect morning and I had a spot where it was just my adult son and I with my new Golden. Soon after sun up I hit a dove directly in front of me and it helicoptered down about 40yds out in a plowed field. My son had been holding the pup, we took turns, so he would not learn to break on the shot. He released the pup after it hit the ground. The pup took a perfect line to the down bird, scooped it up and ran full bore back to my son. Boy was I proud of him... Except, he ran right past my son into the center of a hedge behind him, and proceeded to swallow that bird feathers, feet, and all.

I was shocked! My initial thought was that he will have to go to the vet to avoid a blockage in his intestines. The pup got loose one more time busting a downed bird and again down the hatch it went following his retrieve. Then I thought, man that breeder is breeding some kinda crazy dogs....! On the way home I called our vet, he said watch for signs but usually they will digest birds whole, just fine. The next day I called our breeder and started telling her the story. She interrupted me and asked, "ok, how many dove did he eat?" She went of to say that his mother did the same thing until she was FF....and field trained.

Later I spoke to our trainer and he agreed, it is a good sign for the dog to be that birdy, and as he becomes fully trained, he will be fine with bird in mouth.....He was correct, that first dog was one of my best.....! And he was always soft mouthed even on bloody game. :mrgreen:

Good Luck

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:45 pm

I start with frozen birds and a check cord.

jeff shumaker

Post by jeff shumaker » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:02 pm

I would use check cord I had a pointer that I got at age of 5 years old and was a field trail dog broke steady wing and shot first bird wing I ever threw out she ate before I
could get it thought I was in trouble but few days of check cord all it took