Woodcock hunting in central Texas

Wa Chukar Hunter

Woodcock hunting in central Texas

Post by Wa Chukar Hunter » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:33 pm

This last December I was hunting ducks on a training lease I have with one of my labs - he went on point (yes, I know what an actual point looks like) and I was surprised to see a woodcock flush and fly vertical over the trees - I shot but missed (probably a good thing - since I was shooting 3" #3 steel with a pretty tight choke) and I just laughed and counted my lucky stars

A couple days later I was hunting in the same area and this time Gunny pointed - I was more ready the woodcock flushed or fluttered because of green briar tangle - but managed to get out and fly straight away - well I was hunting ducks again - thinking the previous experience was apparition. I was loaded for ducks but I did hit the bird - it was blown to pieces and Gunny dutifully retrieved the biggest piece he could find - the head, neck and most of the left side of the woodcock's body.

Anyway talking to the land owner he says there are often woodcock around and I figured I would use my 16 ga to shoot one or two -

But I have limited experience with woodcock hunting - what should I look for in cover - the place is marshy when we have enough rain with four big ponds and not far from Lake Aquilla and the Brazos river about a mile from Aquilla creek. Mixed woodlands with oak, cottonwood, sycamore, willow cedars and pines. with some open meadows

Any suggestions?
"I swear a woman's breast is the hardest rock, the Almighty ever created, and I can find no sign on it." Bear Claw Chris Lapp