Late Season Quail Hunt

gettin'birdie

Late Season Quail Hunt

Post by gettin'birdie » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:15 pm

Me and my brother picked up a couple of GSP pups just before Christmas. My pup came out of northern Kansas, Outback kennels. I've never had a pup that came along so quick and easy to train. I feel guilty not having to put as much effort into this GSP pup as I have with the English pointers I had through the years. She is a natural! Lilly(on the right) at 5 months old. She started retrieving for me this past weekend too. My brothers pup, coco(4 1/2 months old) is as staunch as can be-this was her first weekend to have birds shot over her! She never once broke all weekend. We didn't allow her to retrieve but rather keep her steadied up. We got one more weekend of season-hopefully we will get a retrieve out of her! :wink:
On Sunday mid afternoon while were heading back to the truck, exhausted but very content while reflecting on our magical weekend with our pups. I looked over and Lilly, my female was locked up. We got out in front of her and flushed the birds, we knocked down 3 while they were rising. Lilly ran to the downed birds, retrieves one to me then runs past the other 2 downed birds and keeps going!? I whistle to her in confusion, she finally stops about 75 yrds out and to my amazement, picks up a 4th bird! To our surprise, we ended the weekend with a limit of birds each-this was a training session I'll never forget! :mrgreen:[imgImage][/img]
I couldn't be more proud of our girls. I look forward to many more years of hunting this team!

DeLo727

Re: Late Season Quail Hunt

Post by DeLo727 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:03 am

that's good stuff!

houghtonic

Post by houghtonic » Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:30 pm

I like the shirt on your brother...looks like he picked it up in the town I live in (Wimberley). Sounds like you guys have done a fine job training the pups. I have a 1.5 yo GSP and a 1 yo Pudelpointer. Pudelpointer is getting ready to take the NAVHDA Natural Ability test next month. Both dogs just starting out on being steady but the Pudelpointer was used on about 15 duck hunts this winter. If you are local and could use a training partner this offseason, PM me.

gettin'birdie

Post by gettin'birdie » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:50 pm

Thanks for the kind words Hough. I'll send out a pm.