Late season grouse in NY state

GrouseChaser7

Post by GrouseChaser7 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:13 am

I am wondering if anyone has hunted Partridge Run WMA in the Albany area. I live in CT and am trying to get my 1 year old Lab out once more before the end of the season. I don't have the time to go further up state, so I thought this place looked like a good bet. Not lookin for anyone's honey hole, but a point in the right direction would be greatly appreciated!

Jstas

Re: Late season grouse in NY state

Post by Jstas » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:56 am

Never did go up there sorry cant help you

33Scout

Post by 33Scout » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:42 am

May as well take the time to hit the tug hill and surrounding WMA's. Look me up next year if it is something that you are interested in.

diplomat019

Post by diplomat019 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:30 am

Was up at Partridge run a few weeks ago. Didn't get anything but I was hunting in some tough conditions. I went right after a big snow/ice storm and it was tough to keep my footing and the dog as well. But I've heard good things about it. So it's probably worth a try

nyhusker95

Post by nyhusker95 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:26 pm

I was up there last weekend and didn't have any flushes. It was not a productive spot for me this year.

DeLo727

Post by DeLo727 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:10 am

If you're running to Albany just run the other hour and a half and hunt the southern Adirondacks. I have friends who hunt in the Albany area, its ok, there's a few birds around, but not like up north. I'm in the northern dacks and don't know much about the southern portion but I have hunted a couple spots and I can tell you its far better than the capitol region

Max2

Post by Max2 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:49 am

if you have no real solid intel on an area late season grouse can be a little bit tuff & end up being just a walk in the woods. That said I like Partridge run but have not been there in a couple yrs. I would put a pin in a map at your location with a string to P/R , I then would go from NY border to NY border and ck state land opportunity's with in the arch. Keep's your mileage down and odd's of finding birds is the same. Good luck !
http://www.dec.ny.gov/lands/40672.html