Northern wisconsin grouse hunt

natel24

Northern wisconsin grouse hunt

Post by natel24 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:19 pm

Im heading up to the clam lake, wi area next week for 3 days of hunting. I have never hunted this area but will be hunting the chequamegon national forest. Anybody hunted this area recently? Recent bird numbers? Any info would be appreciated to help out this novice grouse hunter. Thanks
natel24
"My dogs not perfect, but i'm not a perfect shot either."
"I'd rather go hunting without a gun than without my dog."

natel24

Re: Northern wisconsin grouse hunt

Post by natel24 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:04 pm

Okay, so nobody replied to my first post, no big deal. We left the house this morning around 230 am and hit are first hunt area around 830, we hunted 4 different areas throughout the day. We quit about 4pm. Snow was falling most the day with about 3" on the ground. In total we had 9 flushes only 2 of which I actually got a chance to put my eyes on. Had one chance to unload my double with no luck. All the birds we saw were in conifer trees. Gibby had several good points but the grouse always flushed away from me. Gonna hit it hard again tomorrow. I have no idea how you die-hard grouse hunters get it done, definitely a humbling hunt, much respect to you guys. Also found out the new boots I bought from gander mountain on black Friday aren't exactly waterproof.
natel24
"My dogs not perfect, but i'm not a perfect shot either."
"I'd rather go hunting without a gun than without my dog."

Ms. Cage

Post by Ms. Cage » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:52 pm

Grouse can be a very humbling hunt. Anytime you have rain or snow grouse will use the pines for shelter. When the snow stops and the sun pops look to open edge . Edge of young slash , trails, roads, open sunny hill sides. Grouse will be out catching rays. Glad to hear Gibby handled a Few.

cpinkert

Post by cpinkert » Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:06 am

I read an article once about a well known grouse hunter in the UP who tracked his numbers for like 20 years and he figured he shot about 35%. I think that's about right. They're fast and fly through lots of cover which protects them.

The other poster is right about snow and rain driving them into pine trees. I would add I have noticed they also seem to get out of the trees later when snow is on the ground. They like to sun themselves first.

jack the dog

Post by jack the dog » Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:15 pm

35% is a great average. Mine here in the WNC mountains is more like 8%.
Let me always be the person my dog thinks I am.

cpinkert

Post by cpinkert » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:34 pm

It was 35% he shot at, not that he saw. I might be a bit off on that number too, might have been 25%. I was waiting to get a haircut and skimming. In my experience that's about right. Usually hit one in three or four I shoot at.

setterpoint

Post by setterpoint » Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:37 pm

a lot of times you only get to hear the bird flush and ive been in such thick cover you cant swing on the bird for the limbs 3 out of ten thats preety good shooting and about right

AtTheMurph

Post by AtTheMurph » Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:19 pm

My buddy in Ashland keeps telling me he is seeing more grouse this year than ever before. He's had 40+ flushes in one day and routinely is getting 20 or more.

That's like a dream IMO.