any birds seen in CA ?

oldbeek

any birds seen in CA ?

Post by oldbeek » Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:52 pm

After 4 years of drought, I knew birds would be scarce. Thought I might find something to do some dog work with. Went to the Easter sierras this weekend. I moved from one familiar haunt to another on my Quad with dog in box on back. Covered at least 30 likely covey spots. I track them, call them and bust brush. Saw one old track. Met 2 hunters that said they saw one small covey. Did not even hear any shots fired. Game warden stopped me to see if I had any luck. He confirmed what I was finding. No birds at all. I am sure they will come back. I Hope!

AlPastor

Re: any birds seen in CA ?

Post by AlPastor » Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:16 pm

Yes and in the same general area but further north of the usual haunts. However, for me, for the same drive time, I'm in Arizona hunting.

Anyway, we'll start our rebound with this year's and next year's rains. El Nino is in full effect. They're catching wahoo on 3/4 and 1 day boats. Today, they saw a hammer head shark at the Newport Beach pier. Build the arc, it's going to be a wet late 2015 and early 2016.

Until then, I'll keep heading out to Arizona and making it a double day. I've been doing the Cibola run for years. Honkers or ducks from the boat in the mornings. Quail in the afternoon.

mtlhdr

Post by mtlhdr » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:12 am

I got a couple days in before rifle season opened up, one in the Tahoe NF and the other in the Eldorado NF. We found 7 mountain quail coveys; knocking 'em down was a different matter. Despite the drought the birds seem to be doing ok. We had quite a few summer thunderstorms this year and have had about 3 inches of rain this month so far. Been out two days for valley birds, found 2 conveys one day and zippo the other. Some of my favorite spots were totally torched in the fires this summer. Really sad. They'll come back, but I'm not holding out much hope for this season.

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:18 pm

Maybe my hunting was not hard enough. My first comment was also based on my observations of the coveys that come into my yard. Very small. I have since found some very nice coveys. But I only shoot a couple and do some dog training. With el nino we could have a bumper crop net year. Don't kill the brood stock.