Questions about pheasants

gsarria

Post by gsarria » Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:34 pm

Hi everybody,
I have a pudelpointer that is 16 months old. I took it to Montana on September for 15 days. We hunted mostly sharptails and some huns. The first 2 days were difficult because he was getting too close to the birds and flushing them. But he got better everyday and at the end of the trip he was doing really, really well. I live in Florida and upland hunting is not that great here. Last year we hunted every weekend and we always found quails, but few and after LOTS of walking. I am planning a trip to Redfield, South Dakota for pheasants, but some people have told me it's not a good idea because pheasants are more suited for flushers. That pointers don't do well with pheasants.
Is he right?

Thank you for your input.

Coach

Re: Questions about pheasants

Post by Coach » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:03 pm

I would not worry too much about what people say. A lot of pheasants are killed over pointing dogs every year.

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:09 pm

I hunt pheasants with my setters. It can be done.
'Dogs don't live long enough. Their only flaw really.' A.S. Turnbull
'Gertie'

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:22 pm

rsz_img_20131106_152843-1.jpg
Yeah? Take your pudel and enjoy. My shorthairs have put a couple thousand roosters in the game bag over the last 40 years
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:33 pm

Pick your spots, stay on the edges, her experiences on sharptail and Huns will be very beneficial, don't put her down in a cattail swamp full of pheasants, that is for flushing dogs. There are so many birds this year you won't be able to avoid birds, you are sure to limit early.

hettmoe

Post by hettmoe » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:03 pm

No. He is not even close to being right. I believe that pheasants are suited for people who like to get their dogs out :D

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:01 pm

hettmoe wrote:No. He is not even close to being right. I believe that pheasants are suited for people who like to get their dogs out :D
How is he to get right without exposure?

I have been hunting pheasants with pointing dogs since the 60's. Doesn't everyone like to get their dogs out?

bonasa

Post by bonasa » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:53 am

Neil,
I believe "he", is the individual that expressed contempt for a pointer in the pheasant fields.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:54 am

Pheasant, grouse, woodcock, huns, sharpies; a good bird dog will learn to handle them all. They will always be better on one bird than another but hunt them all they will. I think the hardest thing with a young pointer can be hens. I took my current dog to the prairie when she was 18 months and the first 14 birds she pointed were hens. Frustrating to her and me but we finally started getting in to the roosters. In the Dakota's you'll pass up a lot of birds which is great training for your dog. Make sure the recall is 100% before you go or you may be in for some looooooong days in the field.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

hettmoe

Post by hettmoe » Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:43 am

bonasa wrote:Neil,
I believe "he", is the individual that expressed contempt for a pointer in the pheasant fields.
Yeah, I was answering the original, and only, question of the original poster. :D

cpinkert

Post by cpinkert » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:04 am

I hunt pheasants with my Brit. She has learned to point them in the grass and flush them out of the cattails when I don't come in (tough to see her on point in there!) She's also learned to block a running bird for me.

I'd be willing to put my Brit up against any lab for pheasants. I bet we'd come out ahead. Some of you folks would likely frown on some of our methods (mainly the flushing in the cattails part), but I don't care, we are effective. To me that's all that matters.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:56 am

hettmoe wrote:
Yeah, I was answering the original, and only, question of the original poster. :D
Sorry, I seem to get confused more often these days.

hettmoe

Post by hettmoe » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:59 pm

:D
Neil wrote:
hettmoe wrote:
Sorry, I seem to get confused more often these days.
Yeah....It's ok, I've been a member of that club for awhile.... :D

Pheasanttracker

Post by Pheasanttracker » Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:07 pm

I hunt plenty of pheasant with my pudelpointer and not had any problems getting birds in the air or pointing them either.

gsarria

Post by gsarria » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:51 am

Thanks everybody for your inputs.

chwagn11

Post by chwagn11 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:02 pm

Use your dog for whatever you would like, I have seen flushers and pointers both work well on all birds.

MSU Aggie

Post by MSU Aggie » Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:36 pm

Pointers are great on pheasants. It is different when hunting in row crops vs grassland. The birds will run the rows and you pointer can get frustrated with running birds. My GSP hunts differently dependant on where we are hunting. Take your dog, kill lots of birds and have a blast.