State land to hunt in PA

DoubleA32

State land to hunt in PA

Post by DoubleA32 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:01 am

Hello,
I live in Central Virginia at this current time and have been doing some research on Pennsylvania pheasant stocking. I've narrowed it down to 5A. If there's anybody from around that area that could point me to a piece of state land where they actually stock would be greatly appreciated. I'm originally from Massachusetts and never had a problem putting my dogs on birds. The 10 hour drive is getting old and the same go's for preserves. I'm just looking for something that will allow my wife, dog and I to get to take 2-3 trips instead one each year.

Thanks,
Alan

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Re: State land to hunt in PA

Post by Mountaineer » Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:11 pm

Maps of the various Gamelands exist...as does the release dates and pheasant stocking numbers for the state by game region.
More than that would be commonsense and I, hopefully, assume you wish to avoid following the hatchery truck.
The PGC does a comparably good job with their Gamelands and the cover upon them.....you will soon discover areas that fit you and your dog(s).
Hills are often in the mix, fwiw.

One suggestion would be.....avoid weekends and apply shoe leather.....the pheasants will be where you find them.

DoubleA32

Post by DoubleA32 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:40 am

I'm not trying to run down the stocking truck. I'm just trying to gather as much information as possible. I don't want to drive 4 hours and take time off of work to hunt a piece of state land they don't even stock. Also, I'm not looking for the easy hunt. I want to hunt hard where there's opportunity. I guide at a local preserve and just miss being able to go hunting. The dogs deserve more! The PA site, although great information, leaves me with some questions. I guess I'll just have to get up there and fine out for myself. Thanks for your time.

Jidano3

Post by Jidano3 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:22 am

Hopefully this may help. http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/se ... ands/11363 If the link doesn't work, just type in the Pa Game Commision. It will bring up there website. Click on the Hunting tab at the top and it will guide you to the pheasant allocation and stocking areas.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:36 am

DoubleA32 wrote:I'm not trying to run down the stocking truck. I'm just trying to gather as much information as possible. I don't want to drive 4 hours and take time off of work to hunt a piece of state land they don't even stock. Also, I'm not looking for the easy hunt. I want to hunt hard where there's opportunity. I guide at a local preserve and just miss being able to go hunting. The dogs deserve more! The PA site, although great information, leaves me with some questions. I guess I'll just have to get up there and fine out for myself. Thanks for your time.
The preceeding post walks you thru what I said....since you "narrowed" it down to 5a I assumed you were acquainted with the PGC website...it is quite clear.

The "hills" note has nothing to do with how hard you hunt but can be the realization of the Gamelands...the maps can help you in determining what is not always seen at first glance from the road. :idea: :!:

The hatchery truck and weekends are .....reality of the program and dealing with it....ignore advice as necessary. :roll:

Many of us have driven that far for a day of shooting...and yes as I said, finding out for yourself is best when satisfaction is the goal.

Here is more to ignore as necessary....evaluate where to let the dogs down based upon tire tracks at the parking area and walk opposite the beat-down grass.
PA pheasants also routinely fly well and they get displaced quickly beyond where they are raked out of the boxes....which is a good thing.
Take a first trip as discovery, most of all.

Pheasanttracker

State land to hunt in PA

Post by Pheasanttracker » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:28 am

Not overly familiar with 5A but having hunted many areas throughout PA I recommend starting with a call to the regional PGC office for 5A and ask some questions. They can give you s good idea of where to hunt for the experience you are looking for. PGC does a good job of stocking but every area has hunters you will want to avoid. Skip the first week and weekends and you and the dog will enjoy it much more. A couple days in any area will get you familiar with the land and better idea of where to hunt once they are chased out of open fields. Stocked birds are stupid. Either they learn quickly or are shot quickly or worse eaten by the over abundance of fox and Hawks. Btw if your dog and you are willing to walk briars you will find plenty of birds other hunters do no like to walk in.