New Mexico grouse????

cbump

New Mexico grouse????

Post by cbump » Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:50 pm

Anyone know of public land in New Mexico that holds blue grouse? Or any private places that will accept a trespass fee?
You can pm me if you'd like. Thanks!

zia

Re: New Mexico grouse????

Post by zia » Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:03 pm

Forgive me if I repost, I tried a couple of times but didn't see it show up. Have seen good grouse numbers in the Jemez mountains, the Pecos Wilderness and the Gila. All public land. Just depends on how hard you want to hunt to get to the birds, I saw most of the grouse while prowling the country horseback, not sure I'd want to hike that far but to each his own.

Escopeton

Post by Escopeton » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:52 am

There are grouse in the Sangre de Cristos and Jemez mtns. You have to start looking for them at least at 8,500 elevation. Look for Engelman Spruce, Douglas Fir and Aspen forest; if you can find a area with sage next to the forest stands you may be in a good area. Here is a photo from a couple of years back.

Living large in the Southwest.

codym

Post by codym » Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:40 am

zia wrote: Gila. All public land. Just depends on how hard you want to hunt to get to the birds, I saw most of the grouse while prowling the country horseback, not sure I'd want to hike that far but to each his own.

I have elk and deer hunted in he Gila for about 8 years and never seen a grouse here. What kind of cover do they live in? We horseback ino 16B pretty far, I would love to see one!

zia

Post by zia » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:26 pm

Have seen a few around Whitewater-Baldy in the Mogollon, that was before the 2012 fire. Good point though, probably better further north, I saw dozens in the Pecos this summer.