NY hunting season

33Scout

NY hunting season

Post by 33Scout » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:53 pm

Anyone know when the NY grouse season opens up this year?

mnaj_springer

Re: NY hunting season

Post by mnaj_springer » Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:42 pm

“Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.”
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.

33Scout

Post by 33Scout » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:51 am

Has anyone in NY ben seeing good grouse numbers? To my understanding we cannot run our dogs until 15 AUG. My setter will be out probably two to three times a week after the 15th. I have heard that this year is supposed to be great. Last year was a great year as a matter of fact. Between my local area and the Tug Hill I was able to do really well on the birds last year. Let me know if anyone has information about this years season. Thanks Jimmy

33Scout

Post by 33Scout » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:13 pm

This Hot weather the last week has been hard on the dog out running. Harder to find birds also. Not sure if this hot weather is harder for the dogs to scent the birds or the birds just go to different places. Any thoughts? Would also like to know if anyone is having any luck finding birds. I think this year the bird numbers will be up a little bit from last year. Hopefully we can get some people sharing ideas on this post.

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:11 pm

When dogs pant heavily, they breathe through their mouths and not their noses, which affects scenting ability. The heavy foliage this time of year also restricts air flow and the movement of scent.
“Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.”

Luminary Setters

NY hunting season

Post by Luminary Setters » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:15 pm

I came up to Maine a little over two weeks ago. The bird numbers are good, but with the heat wave, it's been tough on the dogs to find them. Plenty of sign on the ground and the dogs get birdy, but the birds usually best them.

Looking forward to the heat to break in the next few days.
Hunter Payne

33Scout

Post by 33Scout » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:44 pm

Ok great I was wondering about the panting. So I take it early season will be a little tougher on the dogs as opposed to later OCT or NOV. I learn something new on here every time that I log on. I cant wait until 20 Sept.

ruffbritt4

Post by ruffbritt4 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:01 pm

33scout,

As has been said the dogs panting and the heavy foliage make it difficult. But also, I watched a show I think it was The Flush where they were grouse hunting in the early season. They were not having any luck so they decided to move to wet areas. It was there that they got into a lot of birds.

33Scout

Post by 33Scout » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:49 pm

I have been running my setter mainly to get him into shape. I can tell at times he gets extremely "Birdy" but we haven't had many point so far this season. I think the closer we get to season and the further away from this hot weather the dogs will start to pin some birds. Here in NY you cannot run your dogs until 15 AUG. I am trying to take full advantage of this time to keep him into the field to help expose him to as many birds before the 20 Sept season opener. I just need him to be into shape to start the season out. Any advice I can get on here is much appreciated. Thanks for all the responses. Keep them coming. BTW I took him out tonight and ran him for an hour and a half. He is getting good work in nonetheless.

bonasa

Post by bonasa » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:12 pm

Hey 33scout,
Do you have a horse, ATV, or mountain bike to road the dog off of for 45min to an hour? That will get his pads and cardiovascular system in shape. Handle the dog a few times a week also if necessary. As to the bird work? Dont let the dog get away with anything you wouldnt tolerate during hunting season!

33Scout

Post by 33Scout » Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:25 pm

Bonasa,
I don't have any of three that you mentioned. I just take him out and let him run the old fashion way for now. I enjoy running him as often as I can. I think if I keep this regiment up for the next four weeks until opening day he will be in great shape. I just want to make sure that we get our work in before the season. Thanks for the posts.

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:10 pm

33Scout wrote:Bonasa,
I don't have any of three that you mentioned. I just take him out and let him run the old fashion way for now. I enjoy running him as often as I can. I think if I keep this regiment up for the next four weeks until opening day he will be in great shape. I just want to make sure that we get our work in before the season. Thanks for the posts.
A regular bike works too. I have been bikejoring lately and have seen the benefits after only a few trips.

33Scout

Post by 33Scout » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:24 am

Today we have some wet vegetation from the rain last night and the temperature is 70 so Pete should be able to smell some birds. I will let you guys know how it works out.

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:01 am

33Scout wrote:Today we have some wet vegetation from the rain last night and the temperature is 70 so Pete should be able to smell some birds. I will let you guys know how it works out.
Why do you think so?

ruffbritt4

Post by ruffbritt4 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:12 am

mnaj_springer wrote:
33Scout wrote:Today we have some wet vegetation from the rain last night and the temperature is 70 so Pete should be able to smell some birds. I will let you guys know how it works out.
Why do you think so?
Probably because it's not hot out...

33Scout

Post by 33Scout » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:22 am

mnaj_springer,
It was wishful thinking based of the weather/tempature. I will admit I am no pro and try to avoid the pissing matches on here. We did find on bird and it wasn't as productive as I was hoping. Nonetheless we had a great time was able to have the wife and son tagalong with us and they had a great time. Pete is doing everything correctly as of now so like stated before this training/work we are putting in is based on us working together. I haven't gone into the places that I am successful in during the regular season. I have had individuals advise against that saying I don't want to educate all of the birds before the season opener however, the mentor that I spoke to did advise that going in there once before the season starts shouldn't hurt anything. We did find two grouse that had been killed by some sort of animal. Keep the posts coming. I will let you know how our next session is. I may take him out tomorrow haven't decided if I will allow him to rest tomorrow or work him out. Thanks Jimmy

diplomat019

Post by diplomat019 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:48 pm

33. where in ny are you located? I'm in hudson valley.

33Scout

Post by 33Scout » Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:55 pm

Diplomat019,
I am located here at Ft. Drum, NY. I hunt all the surrounding areas. Bird numbers have been good around here.

nyhusker95

Post by nyhusker95 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:49 am

33Scout wrote:Diplomat019,
I am located here at Ft. Drum, NY. I hunt all the surrounding areas. Bird numbers have been good around here.
That's like being in another state from where I am (LI). Our season doesn't start until 10/1 down here. I'm excited for it and have a new pup (10 mos) I'm anxious to get out. Although this will be my first year grouse hunting so it will be a learning expierence for us both.

Max2

Post by Max2 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:06 am

Heck everyone knows there are no birds to be found in NY ! :D

bonasa

Post by bonasa » Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:38 am

nyhusker95 wrote: Although this will be my first year grouse hunting so it will be a learning expierence for us both.
Partridge run or Daketown state forest, DEC releases pheasant in the fields and plenty of grouse to be found in addition to good flight woodcock. Both about 3 hours from Queens.

33Scout

Post by 33Scout » Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:38 pm

Took Pete out today found a couple birds. One good thing about this late summer work is he will be in great shape when 20 Sept rolls around. I am like a little kid this year I guess. I have been able to resist the urge to stay out of my traditional go to area. I don't want to educate the birds any more than they already are. I will more than likely make a run to the Tug Hill before the season opener to try and find a couple more parcels to hunt for this coming season. Keep the NY updates coming. I am really interested as to how other members are doing and what people think the grouse numbers will be. Thanks Jimmy

33Scout

Post by 33Scout » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:48 pm

Pete and I had a rest day today. He will have another workout tomorrow. He is working great and seems to be getting into great shape. We will be working out until 17 Sep. Our grouse opener is 20 Sep so he will have three good days of rest before the opener. I have really enjoyed working with him this summer and cannot wait until the opener gets here. I have a few good places to hunt and I have had trouble staying out of them while we have been working out. I will continue to update this thread until the opener. Let me know how you other New Yorkers are doing.

nyhusker95

Post by nyhusker95 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:13 pm

bonasa wrote:
nyhusker95 wrote: Although this will be my first year grouse hunting so it will be a learning expierence for us both.
Partridge run or Daketown state forest, DEC releases pheasant in the fields and plenty of grouse to be found in addition to good flight woodcock. Both about 3 hours from Queens.
Thanks for the info. I appreciate it!

33Scout

Post by 33Scout » Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:36 am

nyhusker95,
Come up to the North country. Plenty of birds good food and cold beer to be had up here.

33Scout

Post by 33Scout » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:24 am

Tonight's workout will be better due to the weather. The last few times we have gone it has been extremely warm. Tonight is supposed to be in the upper 60's.

nyhusker95

Post by nyhusker95 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:54 am

Why am I having trouble posting here? I tried 4-6 times last night and keep getting error message.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:24 am

I have no idea. Don't think there is anything wrong on our end.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

nyhusker95

Post by nyhusker95 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:23 am

33Scout wrote:nyhusker95,
Come up to the North country. Plenty of birds good food and cold beer to be had up here.
That sure is tempting with three of my favorite things! I think it's about 6.5 hours away so would def have to make it a two day trip. Not sure it's in the cards this year with a grouse trip planned in VT and pheasants in ND. Although if you're interested in checking out the southern terrain we could hit some spots down here. I think the beers are about as cold and the food isn't too bad either :D The big question is the birds.

nyhusker95

Post by nyhusker95 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:25 am

ezzy333 wrote:I have no idea. Don't think there is anything wrong on our end.
I was trying to quote and send via my Iphone so maybe that had something to do with it. I retyped it from my desktop and went through fine. :?:

33Scout

Post by 33Scout » Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:29 am

Pete is coming along great this summer since I have started posting on here about his workouts. One thing that I am really concerned with is that this summer it has been unusually dry and within the last three weeks unusually dry. It is going to continue to be dry for the next two weeks and well into the upper 80's. Most of our streams and small creeks are completely dry I am talking hard packed. Hopefully this doesn't have an affect on the grouse opener on the 20th. I am looking forward to taking someone who has never hunted grouse or anything for that matter and would like to be a good experience for him being his first time. I would like to hear your thoughts or opinions on the unusually hot and dry weather this late in the season. Thanks Jimmy

ruffbritt4

Post by ruffbritt4 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:14 am

33Scout wrote:Pete is coming along great this summer since I have started posting on here about his workouts. One thing that I am really concerned with is that this summer it has been unusually dry and within the last three weeks unusually dry. It is going to continue to be dry for the next two weeks and well into the upper 80's. Most of our streams and small creeks are completely dry I am talking hard packed. Hopefully this doesn't have an affect on the grouse opener on the 20th. I am looking forward to taking someone who has never hunted grouse or anything for that matter and would like to be a good experience for him being his first time. I would like to hear your thoughts or opinions on the unusually hot and dry weather this late in the season. Thanks Jimmy
Find spots with water, lower elevation

33Scout

Post by 33Scout » Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:58 pm

Took Pete out again today. I haven't posted he last 7-8 workouts as I have been busy. The last few outings have been really good for Pete and I he has worked a few birds. Today we went out for about two hours and he pointed 3 woodcock. I think the cold weather pushed a few down from up north. I will keep you guys posted. Wednesday will be his last workout prior to opening day. He has an appt at the groomer on Saturday morning and we will be hitting the woods sunday for opening day..

Max2

Post by Max2 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:58 am

NY northern zone opens this weekend . I am thinking of heading out with my fat little GSP and my sore and out of shape "self"
Been so warm lately . Though it may cool off for Sunday. You don't have to talk your spots but is anyone else going to try and get out this Sunday ?

33Scout

Post by 33Scout » Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:00 am

Definitely not going to miss the grouse opener this year. My buddy Josh my son and Pete and I will be hitting some of our productive coverts. It would be nice if the birds are cooperative. Good luck to everyone that will be out sunday morning.

33Scout

Post by 33Scout » Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:34 pm

Tomorrow is opening day hoping that everyone that plans on going out in NY tomorrow has a safe and memorable day. Also hoping to see some pictures posted tomorrow. If my party has any luck I will definitely post up some pictures to share with everyone. Good luck and be safe. Thanks

33Scout

Post by 33Scout » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:23 pm

Has anyone been seeing any grouse? Lots of leaves and still tons of cover for them to hide from the pup in.. Also still in mid 70's. I have seen birds just not that many. I know there are birds to have just have to wait until some of the foliage dies off..

Agross

Post by Agross » Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:15 am

Going to hunt this Friday Sat and Sun n the Southern zone down around Binghamton. Will let you know how it goes but this weather and expected rain may put a damper on things.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

33Scout

Post by 33Scout » Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:28 pm

Good Luck out there this weekend. I am going to go out tomorrow and sunday. Saturday I will be chasing ducks so pup will get a break.

33Scout

Post by 33Scout » Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:39 pm

Took my limit of Pheasant today (2) two roosters here in NY. Good Dog work.

Agross

Post by Agross » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:20 am

Because of the wind this weekend and all the leaves on the trees only flushed (confirmed) one grouse but no way for a shot. Only saw him when he jumped off the grouse and a tan flash 20 yards later. Good news is my spots are loaded with apples and hawthorne berries or fruit. Plenty for them to eat.

Hit a preserve sunday afternoon for some training and bird work and had a good day.

Schatz's Pop

Post by Schatz's Pop » Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:05 am

Here in the NW Catskills, I had plenty of grouse the end of august and some woodcock during training runs.

Took Schatzie out 3 times last week to different areas, low along a creek, middle mountain along through the beech and up near the ridge with the hardwoods and found not a one! The birds seem to have move out. No one else hunts the area so I am at a loss as to where they are.

33Scout

Post by 33Scout » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:29 pm

Had my uncle come up from from NE KY Sat-Mon. We had a lot of flushes twenty five on the Saturday. Managed to harvest a few birds. He killed his first grouse. Shooting is still tough. If you cant get a shot on the bird right after it takes off chances of connecting go way down. There is still a lot of foliage here in the North country but I enjoy the challenge this time of year. Thanks in advance and I will keep you NYERS posted on this seasons progress. Found out last week that I have to have shoulder surgery on 30 Nov so season will be cut short this season.. Bummer!!

diplomat019

Post by diplomat019 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:56 pm

So far i have four pheasants this year. Waiting for the leaves to come dkwn some more and im planning on hitting the catkills for grouse.

33Scout

Post by 33Scout » Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:48 pm

IMG_0346.JPG
IMG_0344.JPG
Today was a great day for Pete and I. Killed the three Grouse and two woodcock. I missed a few. Great Day one I will remember.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mnaj_springer

Post by mnaj_springer » Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:55 pm

Oh no! The dreaded "hunting selfie!" Haha you know you wouldn't get away with that!

33Scout

NY hunting season

Post by 33Scout » Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:10 pm

Mnaj_springer,
I know the selfie was a little much. Really excited to show my wife and son who are out of town until Saturday. I thought what the heck why not post it! Was a great day hunting nonetheless..

Max2

Post by Max2 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:53 am

Uh oh ! There's probably no more birds left in NY :D

Nice ! 33scout

33Scout

NY hunting season

Post by 33Scout » Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:50 am

Max 2,
Thanks. Been a good season so far. Try not to hit the same spot more than a couple times. I like to kills birds but also like to have a healthy population.

33Scout

NY hunting season

Post by 33Scout » Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:41 pm

Another mixed bag of grouse and woodcock tonight.. Pete has impressed me so much this year..