Is there such a thing as a close working setter?

MNTonester

Is there such a thing as a close working setter?

Post by MNTonester » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:44 am

such beautiful dogs, but are they suited for a slowing down old fart?

Moulders Farm

Re: Is there such a thing as a close working setter?

Post by Moulders Farm » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:26 am

Yes I am 72 years young & have Breed & hunted llewellin setters for over 10 years & have lots of puppys reported back as to how the new owners love the puppy they got from me & I have hunted & helped train 4 or 5 of them it is all in the training they can run out but by training them from the start to hunt close they will as most breeds . You have to set the range . I alwas train on a long cord making them hunt close & back & forth in front . How ever at 72 my wife says no more puppys breed by us & after being marred to her for 51 years I do let her have a say unless my male & female do not corprate & they run to gether every morning & night until like right now she is in heat so I keep them seperat> I have owner & hunted behind about ev ery breed & love my Llewellins setters the most

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:19 am

MNTonester wrote:such beautiful dogs, but are they suited for a slowing down old fart?
That strikes me as an odd question from someone with experience on upland and birddog message boards....must be the impact of the summer doldrums.

For an answer tho....setters can be found to match any bird hunter, if the bird hunter truely desires a match.

Kellym

Post by Kellym » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:08 pm

I have owned many setters in my life. I love the breed. Range is a very controversial subject, however in my experience the King bred Llewellin Setters tend to be naturally closer than any other setters I've owned.

Firelight

Post by Firelight » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:41 pm

Not only are there naturally close working setters, but you can pretty much state your desired range and there will be a breeder whose dogs will met your needs. Some hunters consider 100 yds close, others want their dog at 50 yards. There are breeders for both of those. If you would like, PM me your particular desires and I can probably suggest a couple breeders to look into to.

33Scout

Post by 33Scout » Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:12 am

Watching a setter quarter and come a hault while in the Grouse woods is something that i havent been able to shake. Pure addiction. My setter pretty much changes his range depending on the type of terrain/cover that we are hunting.

NEhomer

Post by NEhomer » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:14 am

I was concerned that my Llewellin pup stayed too close as he wouldn't get out from under foot at 4 months. At nearly 11 months, he's now absolutely perfect. He ranges out no more than 100yds and then always comes back to keep a check on me. He's just a pup but he adjusts his range as well. Out there on the open fields and close in the woods.

33Scout

Post by 33Scout » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:58 am

Sounds like you have a natural hunter..