South Dakota pointer hunting?

jdgoldapske

South Dakota pointer hunting?

Post by jdgoldapske » Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:28 am

I am thinking about heading to S. Dakota this fall. I have been working hard with my dog and she is dialed in now. My question is where should I head that is better suited for a pointing dog. I have done the typical " pheasant drive" in the past and want to hunt over my pointer for Pheasants chickens etc. I like to get away from the crowds. Any suggestion would be appreciated.

jeff shumaker

Re: South Dakota pointer hunting?

Post by jeff shumaker » Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:16 am

Huron plenty of public ground. And lots of birds. Pointers will do good. I got a buddy that runs English pointers. He goes when it gets cold and the cocktails are froze says he does well.

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:03 am

All's Oasis on I-90 exit 230 next to Missouri river. BEST food and service, motel ,RV park and General store with the best price and selection of steel shot that I have ever seen. Even in 16 ga. I hunted a private ranch near Kennebeck SD. There is also lots of federal ground around there. I agree , wait till freeze. The mud after rains is sticky and the birds are super spooky even on opening day.

MSU Aggie

Post by MSU Aggie » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:23 pm

South Dakota publishes a Hunting Atlas every year of public grounds. Look at the areas around Huron, Aberdeen, chamberlain, and mainly central sd. Most small towns have lodging and food because hunting is big business here. Almost all public ground is suitibles for pointers. If you want alot of ground to yourself come the second week of November during the week. Locals are out west deer hunting and the nonresidents aren't as numerous.

jdgoldapske

Post by jdgoldapske » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:56 pm

Thanks for all the advice. You have me headed in the right direction. Good luck this season.