early grouse reports from michigan

setterpoint

early grouse reports from michigan

Post by setterpoint » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:08 am

I asked this question on another forum. and the replys sounds good lots of drumming have been heard I know a lot can change between and hunting season but for now things sound real good

fordman

Re: early grouse reports from michigan

Post by fordman » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:34 am

I have heard very small broods so that don't sound good.

Lucky Dog

Re: early grouse reports from michigan

Post by Lucky Dog » Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:31 pm

I've been moving broods in the 6-8 bird range, and have been moving broods in the marginal covers that I'm running in right now.
For me all the early indicators are looking like a good season.

mrtyde

Post by mrtyde » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:37 am

Here is part of the report from RGS

Eric heard individual drumming survey route reports that had similar results as last year and many more that are up 20 to 40 percent from last year. That is the good news. Subsequently, there have been a smattering of reports of broods that are smaller than what people have seen in recent years with average numbers around 2 to 4. That is the bad news. As is often the case, localized events can dramatically impact what an individual hunter experiences in the field, and the wet weather at the end of May could have impacted grouse right around the time many were hatching. As usual, reports on grouse numbers increased going from the southern part of the state north with the Upper Peninsula having the highest numbers. All evidence points to Michigan being around two years up from the bottom of the 10-year cycle and grouse hunting being at least as good as last year with many areas of higher numbers than last year where the late May heavy rains did not have an impact and where there is good habitat. Another positive note, many foresters and field biologists Eric has spoken with have noticed a good soft and hard mast crop again this year, especially with oaks in certain areas. In Michigan, ruffed grouse season begins on September 15 running until November 14. It then reopens December 1 through January 1.