Interview about breeding Bracchi Italiani, superb gundogs!

Lazhar

Interview about breeding Bracchi Italiani, superb gundogs!

Post by Lazhar » Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:29 am

Hello everybody!

Thought this could be interesting to share. A great interview of a famous american Bracco Italiano dog breeder who helped introducing this dog breed in the US. They explain how they imported their first Bracchi Italiani from Europe!
How did you choose your founding dogs when you started breeding Bracchi Italiani?
Have to admit, we didn’t have much choice, since we were relying on the Netherland kennel to make our decisions for us. We got a lovely brown male (Dino) from them, and they got an orange/white female (Alba) from a breeder they knew in Italy. We trusted our friends to get us good dogs – and we’ve moved up from there. It was important to have a brown and an orange, since these colors can be bred. Two browns cannot be bred (possibility of bad recessive genetic issues) and it’s O.K. to breed two oranges. This gave us more flexibility if we ever found another Bracco in the US to breed to.
They also do not want an american version of the bracco italiano!
First, although we started selling a puppy to anyone, we decided about 3 years in that we would only place our pups in hunting families, which is different from most all other breeders in the US. We feel very strongly that we need to continue what the Italians have done so well – and we do not want to create a “Bracco Americano”, as has been accomplished with so many breeds in the U.S.

MNTonester

Re: Interview about breeding Bracchi Italiani, superb gundogs!

Post by MNTonester » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:56 am

I don't know if it's proper to call a pup "cute" but they sure are. oh, and thanks for the link. i really enjoy learning about some of the lesser known breeds

Spy Car

Post by Spy Car » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:02 am

I had the great pleasure of getting to know a Bracco Italiano named Oswaldo during a stay in Castelfranco Emilia (Modena) about twenty years ago.

Fantastic dog. They've been on my short list of "dream dogs" ever since.

Bill

MNTonester

Post by MNTonester » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:02 pm

Lazshar,
do you own a Bracchi? What is their hunting style - close; way out there?