Chukar hunting pics

NVgsp

Chukar hunting pics

Post by NVgsp » Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:27 pm

I figured we ought to have a new topic dedicated to the birds we love to hunt and the success that comes every once in awhile. Limit Baby! Accidents happen :lol:
Chris

RuttCrazed

Post by RuttCrazed » Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:18 pm

How about some scenery pics? I have been working with a new pup this year, so actual harvest pics are a little harder to come by.

This is a pic from about 3/4 up the hill:

Here are the dogs at another spot a week later:

This bird actually flushed wild, but we were close:

I've only got about a month and a half left then it is time to start counting down the days 'til next year.

Rut

glk7243

Post by glk7243 » Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:35 pm

Here are a couple

littleking

Post by littleking » Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:53 am

gosh i envy you

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:18 am

that is alot of uppin and downin, and then uppin agin.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:36 am

Your first pic shows that the tail is too long. It won't even fit in the pic. :lol: :lol:

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:47 am

Beautiful pics. Sure is apparent you fellas are a lot younger than me.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

NVgsp

Post by NVgsp » Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:28 am

LOL. Oh Ezzy, am I reading a little tail envy. You know size doesnt matter. Dont feel too bad for your little Britts...jk.

Here, maybe you can see that tail of hers now...HA

And here is my oldest

Chris

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:47 am

Right on guys! Awesome! Heading out the door right now - just waiting for Sharptailhunter to get all his chukar combat gear on and we're gonna be in the thick of it.

NVgsp

Post by NVgsp » Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:40 am

Doug-
Good luck and knock down a few for us. The weather down here sucks. The wind and rain gods must have been pissed, becuase they are socking us in. Supposed to get snow too. Dont know if we will be able to get out this weekend. :evil:
Chris

midwestfisherman

Post by midwestfisherman » Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:13 pm

Wow, nice pics! Thanks for taking us along. Beautiful coutry out that way! Nice looking dogs too!!
Image * Image

"Your best conservation tool is a well trained hunting dog"

Casper

Post by Casper » Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:08 pm

Cris I am headed to Lovelock Sunday your welcome to tag along. My 2 year old pointed appoximatly 13 coveys in 3 hours time. Took home 9 birds of the 10 shot. I havent been out much this year but plan on finishing out the season with a bang.

NVgsp

Post by NVgsp » Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:26 pm

Thanks for the invite, but got the ol' family Christmas party on Sunday. Sounds like you were poundin' the heck out of them. I heard earlier in the season that Lovelock was hot, but that it was getting a lot of preasure. Havent been up there yet. Good luck, and report back. Take some pics.
Chris

Boomer

Post by Boomer » Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:56 am

I hit a couple places this last week in Lovelock area. Vernon and 7 throughs. The green up is very good, snow is all gone. The birds are scattered, lower in elv then I figured they would be but plenty of numbers if you want to do some walking. Filled our limits two days in a row, but some long shots were required. Birds are jumpy, but thats not uncommon after the first part of new "green up". Seams to be more numbers ther then in the Winnamucca IMO. If this storm hits this weekend like is predected it should help put the birds back together. The lava beds have just been pounded by mostly Reno hunters I think. Going to hit the Rye Patch area next week a few days.
Boomer[/img]

Lawdog

Post by Lawdog » Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:21 pm

Went out on Dec 4 and got a limit here in UT. Just got back today from a week in So. Cal on a family vacation. Cant wait till Monday to get back out and hunt some more.

Razor

Post by Razor » Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:45 am

You need to change your name to NV-EP. Nice pictures though.

NVgsp

Post by NVgsp » Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:28 pm

Razor- check the Idaho Hunting thread out...towards the end. My pups are shorthairs not pointers. Just have longer tails, thats all. Are you kidding, most pointers would kill to be as good looking as my gsps. :lol: JK all you pointer guys.
Chris

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:06 am

We had a good three days, saw alot of birds, and all the dogs got some nice birdwork. We didn't bag a whole lot for some reason...we were mostly blaming it on the wind which was pretty sharp most of the time. I think the wind makes the birds act goofy (and our shots even goofier!).

Interesting theory on the "green up" Boomer - not the first time I've heard that the birds seem a bit jumpier when the green up is good. I've also heard that it makes it tough for the dogs to smell 'em...but that's usually more in the spring when they're paired up. Who knows?

Interested observer:

glk7243

Post by glk7243 » Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:54 pm

Doug you did better than me if you saw lots of birds. Friday was terrible with the wind. Saturday was much nicer, but I only had a couple points. Stayed home sunday after 2 bad days. Now I'm ready to go again friday.
Gary

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:12 am

Yah, Friday the wind was horrible. I've never been shy about meandering over to another guy's dog on point and throwing some lead. I was doing so on Friday when my buddy started yelling and waving frantically at me. I hustled it up thinking for some reason he didn't want to wait on me. Turned out he was trying to get me to turn around because, according to him, a huge bunch of chukars we're getting up right behind me as I was ambling on over to his dog on point. I never heard them or him because of the wind. The point was an unproductive...the dog probably got a whiff of that big bunch of birds but couldn't get 'em located in that high wind.

sharptailhunter

Post by sharptailhunter » Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:03 pm

I was trying to save him, I thought them scary birds were going to put the hurt on ya ;)

Seriously, that was a big bunch 'o birds... the biggest bunch of chukar I've ever seen. Even though the weather wasn't the best, I had a great time. It was my first time over in the why-hees and I loved it. Can't wait to get back over there!

glk7243

Post by glk7243 » Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:23 pm

Doug,
Do you ever chase the quail along the river there?
Gary

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:58 pm

I was trying to save him, I thought them scary birds were going to put the hurt on ya
Yup, you gotta be cautious about them birds sneaking up on ya'...I'm teaching Trixie to run between "4 and 8" to watch my back.

That was a huge covey on Sunday that Trixie pointed initially. Still laughing at you blazing away both barrels at birds "way out there" then staring dumbfounded as birds got up at your feet with your gun empty. That's good stuff. Wish I could have seen the gunbattle you had with the bird that wouldn't die...wierd that when we cleaned it, we still didn't find any pellets in it. Figured you must have eventually just worn it out.
Do you ever chase the quail along the river there?
Certainly we'll take a crack at 'em if we get them pointed out hunting but most of our hunting is well up off the river. I've seen them way up high in the rimrocks before right alongside chukars.

glk7243

Post by glk7243 » Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:00 pm

Doug, too bad your sick.
I'm heading out in the morning. It has cooled off so hopefully the mud has seized up. I went tuesday and it was really muddy. I got 4.
Regards
Gary

Coach529

Post by Coach529 » Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:16 pm

Awesome pics.......ND is way too flat!!

NVgsp

Post by NVgsp » Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:37 pm

Gary, that first pic. is great. The background makes the entire picture memorable. Thanks for sharing.

Doug: I ordered that elite vest on tues. Hopefully it gets here before I head out for a week in the sun in Hawaii. Cant wait to get my hands on it.
Chris

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:20 am

Hey Gary - Good pics! Rolled into Boise tonight and looks like it's gonna be decent, probably muddy though, the next few days but I'm gonna give it a try. Dogs are ready! Fresh air and steep hills will do me good!

NVGSP - I've heard there's some chukars in Hawaii - toss the vest in! My buddy just hunted a bit in Nevada the other day. His dogs pointed 9 coveys in 2.5 hours - 8 coveys of sage hens, 1 miniscule covey of chukars. He couldn't really get deep in the country where he wanted due to mud - pretty easy to get truck and horse trailer stuck out in the Owhyee goo.

NVgsp

Post by NVgsp » Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:24 am

And they say there arent any sage hen around anymore ?!?!? HA! We saw sage hen all over when I had my archery muley tag. I havent been able to get out just because of the Christmas thing and the weather has been questionable everytime I try to make a run for the hills.

I put a call into Grundmeyer two weeks ago and it seems he has had some health issues?!! Dont know much other then that. So it looks like our training together is yet again pushed back. Hopefully he gets better soon.
Chris