Hawk screamer on beeper collar

cbump

Hawk screamer on beeper collar

Post by cbump » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:17 am

I sold my gps combo collar to go with something simpler. I have been reading about beepers, particularly the Garmin with the hawk screamer. On various forums some people say they use them and others say they wouldnt use something like that near the dog's ear.
My question is is there any evidence out there that this really hurts or bothers the dog? Asking about the hawk but how about the beep itself?
Thanks

luvthemud

Re: Hawk screamer on beeper collar

Post by luvthemud » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:07 pm

My dog never seemed to like the hawk scream. He took well to the regular beep, but even after quite some time, the hawk scream always seemed to break his concentration and somewhat startle him.

Whether or not it is any harder on their ears than a regular beep, I have no idea. I know that I would rather hear the beep over the hawk scream if it were on my neck, but I personally don't feel it is any "harder" on the dog.

Now, I do feel that there is a little benefit to using the hawk scream when it comes to the birds. I feel there is a slight chance that a bird might consider holding a little tighter with the hawk scream versus a beep, but by the time that point arrives, the bird probably knows what is going on anyway.

I was actually planning on listing my Tri-Tronics G3 Upland beeper in the classifieds. If you would be interested, let me know.

msuhunter

Post by msuhunter » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:37 pm

Any loud noises by a animals ears will effect their hearing. I use the hawk scream on my GWP but I put the beeper on a different collar and put it around the dogs waist near hind quarters. Works fine and keeps the loud noise away from dogs ear. Give it a try.

luvthemud

Post by luvthemud » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:34 pm

msuhunter wrote:Any loud noises by a animals ears will effect their hearing. I use the hawk scream on my GWP but I put the beeper on a different collar and put it around the dogs waist near hind quarters. Works fine and keeps the loud noise away from dogs ear. Give it a try.

I used to put a piece of electrical tape over the speaker to dampen the sound a bit.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:42 am

Since all my dogs seem deaf, I can't help you.

Seriously, I think compared to a shotgun blast and genetics, the higher frequencies of the hawk scream is minor. But then I can't hear most women on the telephone.

I did prefer the hawk scream in point only mode before I switched to GPS.

Wyobio

Post by Wyobio » Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:19 am

I have a 12 year old GWP that hunts with a beeper collar on the hawk scream setting and pointed many, many birds, and she still hears just fine (when she wants to) :wink:

If you run the beeper on point only mode, then turn it off remotely once you have located he dog on point, they are not hearing the sound long enough to cause hearing damage.