gave it one last try for grouse

MNTonester

Post by MNTonester » Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:14 am

took Chaz out yesterday to hit the woods while the weather was somewhat conducive. dreary and damp, but always great to get out with my good buddy.
Got one, flushed another and saw sign of more. still plenty of high-bush cranberries and thorn apples so the remaining birds should have food aplenty over the winter.

zjohn14

Post by zjohn14 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:29 am

Congrats, still trying to get my first grouse, I understand now more than ever why there called king of game birds, but my dogs an me are getting in pretty good shape though

Grange

Re: gave it one last try for grouse

Post by Grange » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:31 am

Nice. You had better luck that I did. I went out earlier in the week for a bit with my 10 year old lab. My setter was in MI getting bred so it was like old times with my lab except she's much older and can't hunt as hard as she used to. She got birdy a couple times, but we couldn't produce anything.

msuhunter

Post by msuhunter » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:47 am

Nice job, I hunted Sat and Sun for about 3-4 hrs each day. Saturday produced 6 flushes and no shots. Sunday had 7 flushes 1 very nice point by my GWP in a cutover missed! My EP pointed a bird but it flushed wild but I got his buddy. Miss a couple more but they were tough shots ( Grouse Shots). Had fun but my legs got tired and my knees were aching. posting.php?mode=reply&f=81&t=48210&sid ... 56ed8034c5#

luvthemud

Post by luvthemud » Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:21 pm

Congrats!

I grouse hunted for the first time this last fall. Was what i call a "learning experience" lol! We found and flushed a bunch of them, 13, but only got shots at 2. One of which we did get, but the other one went invisible on us.

Pheasanttracker

Post by Pheasanttracker » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:23 pm

Congrats. I have found the most luck on grouse shortly after a thick fluffy snowfall. Birds seem to sit under pines or hide on the side of small embankments hiding in the snow. A trip watching them bust out. All you see is a small hole I the snow. There must be a bush or something they hide under that gets covered. They usually only fly a hundred yards or do when I miss. They still make me jump when I am not expecting their flush.