My labor day dove hunt.

12 Volt Man

My labor day dove hunt.

Post by 12 Volt Man » Tue Sep 07, 2004 11:01 am

I took Cooper and my Brother in Law out yesterday for a dove hunt. This was the first dove hunt any of us had been on. We didn't really know (and still don't) the "proper' way to hunt them but we ended up with 8 total birds. Cooper did fantastic and retrieved all of them to hand.

The first couple of hours of the morning we sat at a spot near some water. We didn't see any birds there. Then we drove around to several areas, when we saw doves, we stopped and let the dog out. We then tried to carefully walk to where the birds were. Most of the time they flew away before we were close enough for a shot. Sometime they flew right by us with in range. Those doves are hard to hit!! I went through a box and a half of shells. After that we would wait in that spot for a while to see if they would fly back. That rarely happened.

We also were able to try out my Brother In Law's new .17hmr on some jackrabbits. It was a great day!

I had the camera, but unfortunately I never took it out to take any pictures. I was wrapped up in the thrill of the hunt all day.