first dove hunt

sudiegirl

first dove hunt

Post by sudiegirl » Tue Sep 07, 2004 1:23 am

well con loves dove hunting. after several snide remarks from fellow hunters telling me that i needed a retriever and that my dog belonged on a quail hunt, condor made them all look like fools. he retrieved the 1 dove that my husband, his buddy, and i shot simultaneously :) and then about 6 or so others that the rest of the field around our end shot. he did amuse us all by pointing a cripple until i told him to fetch it... he looked back at me like "are you SURE about this momma? you aren't going to get mad at me for this now RIGHT?" and then brought him right to me. he went into some hateful briars after most too.... bloody and battered, but so proud of himself when he came out with the bird! and his mouth is so soft! not a feather out of place! not only is my dog's nose better than my eyes, but his eyes are better than mine as well... he learned to watch the sky really quickly and let us all know about several birds we would have missed otherwise! not only was he the best behaved dog in the field, but he could find birds that the other "retrievers" couldn't !! i was extremely proud of him! wish we had been better shots so he could have had more fun! can't wait to take him again!
Image[/url]

sdgord

dove hunts

Post by sdgord » Tue Sep 07, 2004 8:12 am

We always take our pointers and setters dove hunting. Years ago my buddy had a shorthair that would retrieve doves to him from everyones stockpile. So at the end of the day you had to sort out her extras. She was really fun to watch as she would try to be as sneaky as she could be. And so proud of herself when she would bring the ill gotten gains to Dave. SDGORD

tfbirddog2

dove hunting

Post by tfbirddog2 » Tue Sep 07, 2004 11:29 pm

See what did I tell ya folks pointers can dove hunt too. Heck just get the dog out there thats why we call them birddog an gundogs right. I had to careful with my girls the other nite because of all the rattlers around. I had all three out for awhile walking the pasture. Then I put the GSPs away an had just my halfbreed for some pass by shooting we only got two, but most of the birds have moved becuase of our chilly nites.Congrats on a smart, an versetile dog. Those retriever guys will be asking for your dog to help fill their bags next time an want help on pointing out birds for them.I have seen alot of Lab guys go GSP after hunting around some after a weekend at our lodge. Good luck if you get back out again for more doves.

QCBirddogs

Post by QCBirddogs » Thu Sep 09, 2004 2:24 am

WOW Sudie!

That third shot is stunning! We sure do miss ole Condor around here too. HE looks great. I hope you and Eric can make it out to chase a few covies with us this winter. We would love to hunt over him again, and Judge as well.

Pups are due here soon, it's sure to be pure chaos around here again!

Phil

sudiegirl

Post by sudiegirl » Thu Sep 09, 2004 12:24 pm

thanks phil!
i am awfully proud of that last one .... i carry a copy in my wallet along with the pics of my other children tee hee :D that "pose" was what he did every time he heard a shell chambered or my gun close in general... he just knew something must be up there to shoot, and he was MORE than ready for it!! he really did do a super job, and we are so thrilled with him... he is turning into one helluva dog! we surely are hoping and planning to make it out this christmas break... and we will bring both pups for a fun oklahoma visit!! (and of course some good hunting too!! ;) ) and can't wait to see those puppies!!!